TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

View Single Post

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 08:34 PM   #441
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
The only positive we can take from this tournament is that it could have been even worse. Having said that, I think she actualy played a decent match against Sveta. Halfway through the third set I thought Caro would win it. But unfortunately she no longer has a mental edge in close matches like she had in the past.
The part in bold is exactly what I thought whenI watched it in bed. She lost but I liked the way she played. She was moving Sveta around and was playing with controlled aggression and I thought Sveta was tiring. Sveta played brilliantly the last 3 games of the match and I can't really put too much fault on Caro there. But I do feel she missed out on actually breaking Sveta a couple of times more before it got to that. I got annoyed with a few silly UEs in the 3rd set - as did Caro herself. And silly "blind as a bat" challenges where she stopped the point and of course was wrong.

I do think the biggest difference netween Caro and Sveta which was the decisive factor was their play at the net. The gap between them was huge there and Sveta was really good at the net in this match. Caro made several mistkes there where she'd controlled the point and should have won it. I remember times where she put it long, messed it up or put it straight to Sveta and times where if she'd won that point she'd have been like 40-0 with her playing well were 30-15 and games slipping away.

I do think playing doubles could help Caro. She really was very close to getting more breaks and a lead in the 3rd set and winning this match.

I should be feeling awful that she lost. I'm sad. But I don't feel really depressed because she did play some really good tennis. She actually hit 23 winners to 22 UEs which is +1 and those winners were really good. Just that Sveta hit 52 winners to 41 UEs = +11.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Jan 21st, 2013 at 08:40 PM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!