TennisForum.com - View Single Post - AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel.

View Single Post

Old Jan 19th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #1632
country flag Fighterpova

Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future Fighterpova has a brilliant future
Re: AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
That's my point though. As great as those past number ones were, they always had rivals that had the talent and ability to compete with them and beat them on any given day, with surface being a huge factor.

But that's not the case with Serena. Nobody is in her universe, let alone neighborhood. The old logic doesn't apply to her. She's rewriting the rules and history of tennis. You want to point to clay as her weakness. Well, Justine Henin isn't walking onto that court anymore. Who's the best clay courter today? Based on last year, you'd have to say Maria is, and do you really think Serena is scared of Maria on clay or any surface? It really says a lot about that state of women's tennis that Maria, of all people, dominated the clay. So if Maria can do that, you can bet Serena is motivated to match that.

I actually think the French is the most likely she'll win because it's been 11 years since she won there and she wants to make up for last year's first round loss. And when Serena wants something, she gets it.
Well I see a point, though you are overreacting a bit in some of your posts

However, between 2002/2003 Serena was healthy and in full form. She won 4 in a row and then lost FO SF, but won WImbledon so that was 5/6. Then, her huge problems with injuries began. She melted down in the FO Semi, but was a break up and could have easily made the final where she would beat Clijsters in which case she would win 6 in a row. And she achieved it while she had Venus, Henin, Kim, Davenport, Hingis, Capriati and others

However, my point is that it didn't happen. Something happened and that something was her meltdown at the FO. No matter the weak field and the fact that top players can't challenge her, in the end she is her own worst enemy. She is a brilliant player, but not unbeatable and wont always play her best.

It's similar to Nadal on clay. On paper, he is unbeatable when he plays his best. He rarely suffers any losses, sometimes 0 in a year. However, the point is, he still losses. There is always an off day or an inspired opponent. It's the same with Serena. Nobody is unbeatable.
Fighterpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote