TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Jan 18th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2487
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Going into the match, Lindqvist said she doesn't fear facing Graf and would not be concentrating solely on avoiding Graf's forehand. "I don't think it's right to go and avoid her forehand all the time because she's got a good backhand, too," she said. "I'll just have to go in and play my own game."

Graf eases by Lindqvist; McNeil beaten
Houston Chronicle
Monday, JANUARY 18, 1988
Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia - Steffi Graf took only 55 minutes today to crush Catarina Lindqvist of Sweden 6-0, 7-5 and advance to the quarterfinals of the $1.9 million Australian Open Tennis Championships.

Earlier, defending champion Stefan Edberg scored an unconvincing 6-3, 6-3, 6-4 win over Australian teen-ager Jason Stoltenberg to advance to the men's quarterfinals. Also posting fourth-round victories were third-seeded Mats Wilander of Sweden and Andrei Chesnokov of the Soviet Union.

In women's play, Australia's Anne Minter upset fourth-seeded Pam Shriver, Mandlikova defeated No. 9 Lori McNeil of Houston and West Germany's Claudia Kohde-Kilsch downed Radka Zrubakova of Czechoslovakia.

Graf played almost flawless tennis in the first set, roaring through it in just 16 minutes. Lindqvist put up sterner resistance in the second set, but rarely looked comfortable.

The 18-year-old Graf, bidding for her first Australian Open title, now will play Mandlikova in the quarterfinals. The West German outdueled the 13th-seeded Lindqvist from the baseline, hitting a succession of forehand winners.

Graf has dropped only 13 games in her first four matches in the tournament.

Edberg, 21, aiming to win the men's singles for the third straight time, never approached his peak form during his one-hour, 36-minute match with Stoltenberg. The powerful Swede frequently found himself extended by Stoltenberg, a 17-year-old ranked just 330th in the world.

But Edberg had enough variety of shots to beat his opponent, who is the world's No. 1 junior.

``I had problems with my concentration today,'' Edberg admitted. ``The kid played very well. He got a lot of balls back.''

Edberg, the No. 2 seed, will face Chesnokov in the quarterfinals.

A French Open quarterfinalist in 1986, the 21-year-old Chesnokov reached the quarters by defeating West German Carl-Uwe Steeb 6-1, 6-4, 6-2. ``I'm good at fast-court tennis,'' Chesnokov said. ``I'm pleased with my form. I've got good touch at the moment.''

Wilander, twice the Australian Open winner, scored an impressive 6-2, 6-4, 6-3 triumph over Christian Saceanu of West Germany. He will face the winner of the day's final fourth-round match between sixth-seeded Anders Jarryd of Sweden or Australian John Frawley.

The other quarterfinals will pit top-seeded Ivan Lendl against Todd Witsken, the lone American survivor in the men's singles, and Wimbledon champion Pat Cash of Australia against Michiel Schapers of The Netherlands.

Minter, 24, ranked 38th in the world, took just 61 minutes to down Shriver 6-2, 6-4, who had won warm-up tournaments in Brisbane and Sydney going into the first Grand Slam event of the year.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote