TennisForum.com - View Single Post - AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel.

View Single Post

Old Jan 18th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #1474
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Good grief, how do you manage, after a performance as strong as this, to only write one short paragraph of positives then 2 huge paragraphs of negatives?
That's because, at this point, everthing Maria does, I measure against Serena. I hate that it's come to that, but that's what Serena has done to me. Every time Maria hits a great shot, plays a stellar point, or delivers a brillant match, I ask myself, "Could she do that against Serena?" or "I wonder how that would translate against Serena?" etc. She's sucked most of the enjoyment I have out of watching tennis. I have a hard time enjoying the journey or little victories of Maria, like last night, because Serena is always lurking nearby.

It comes down to whether or not I can be satisfied with finals or semifinal appearances for Maria. For some fans, it is enough. But I need titles. I'm tired of Maria giving runner up speeches and I want her to win NOW in these next few peak years she still has. But Serena will be standing in her way time and time again and the only way to get what she wants is to finally defeat her. She'll need to be extraordinary to do that. And that's why I tend to be unfairly nitpicky with Maria. But based on last year's head-to-heads, the gulf between the two is only growing.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote