TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #2485
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

I have always wondered whether Steffi really believed some of these matches would be "more difficult" or whether she was just being diplomatic.

EDBERG TO MEET JUNIOR IN ROUND OF 16
Sun-Sentinel
Sunday, January 17, 1988
The Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Sweden's Stefan Edberg, the defending champion, faces a David and Goliath battle with Australian junior Jason Stoltenberg in the Australian Open tennis championships after advancing to the fourth round Saturday.

Edberg, the No. 2 seed, defeated Dan Goldie to join compatriots Mats Wilander and Anders Jarryd in the Round of 16.

Edberg, bidding for his third consecutive victory in the Grand Slam event, Monday will meet 17-year-old Stoltenberg, the son of a cotton farmer from the outback of New South Wales, who is ranked 330th in the world.

Stoltenberg, the world's No. 1 junior last year, would be an awkward opponent, Edberg said.

"You never really know what's going to happen in a match like that because he has nothing to lose. It's nice when you're young and playing in front of your home crowd because everyone gets behind you."

Edberg struggled during the third set before defeating Goldie, a former NCAA champion from McLean, Va., 6-4, 7-5, 2-6, 6-3.

Wilander eliminated Magnus Gustafsson 6-1, 6-4, 6-1, while Jarryd downed Paul Chamberlin 7-5, 6-1, 6-2.

The only seeded player to lose Saturday was Slobodan Zivojinovic, the eighth seed, who was upset 6-4, 7-5, 2-6, 1-6, 6-3 by left-hander Carl-Uwe Steeb.

Edberg, one of four Swedes remaining in the Round of 16, said he felt better Saturday than in other matches he played.

"But I'm still going to have to play better to win the tournament," he said. "Ivan Lendl, Pat Cash and Mats Wilander are all playing good. I'm not playing that good."

Wilander breezed against Gustafsson.

The No. 3 seed and two-time titlist next meets unseeded Christian Saceanu of West Germany, while Jarryd plays Australian John Frawley in the fourth round.

Frawley, a talented player in the process of lifting his ranking following a severe wrist injury, beat Jim Grabb in a five-set marathon 6-3, 6-2, 6-7 (4-7) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4.

In the women's singles, top seed and world No. 1 Steffi Graf continued her quest for her second Grand Slam title with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Cammy MacGregor in only 49 minutes.

Graf will now meet 13th-seeded Catarina Lindqvist, a match she predicts will be her toughest yet.

"I know she is going to be difficult, much more difficult," said Graf, the French Open champion. "I know I have to be more prepared."

Lindqvist, a semifinalist in Australia last year, scored a 6-1, 6-4 victory over her doubles partner, Robin White.

Defending champion Hana Mandlikova beat Catherine Tanvier 6-4, 6-3.

Fourth seed Pam Shriver and No. 9 seed Lori McNeil also won Saturday, along with Czech teen-ager Radka Zrubakova, eighth seeded Claudia Kohde-Kilsch and Anne Minter.

Shriver defeated Nicole Jagerman 6-3, 6-3 and next meets Carol Christian.

McNeil, from Houston, rolled past Jenny Byrne 6-4, 6-2.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote