TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #2484
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Graf wins in Australia Open - McNeil also advances with victory over Dutch opponent
Houston Chronicle
Thursday, JANUARY 14, 1988
Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia - When Steffi Graf is on the attack the kill doesn't take very long as her prey in the $1.9-million Australian Open tennis tournament learned today.

"Steffi hits the ball as hard as anyone I've ever played," Australian Janine Thompson said after the 18-year-old West German crushed her 6-0, 6-1 in just 40 minutes in their second-round match.

Graf, who faces a third-round meeting with American Cammy MacGregor, said she felt she was approaching top form.

"I was concentrating well, returning well and making the right choices," Graf said. "I didn't make too many mistakes out there."

Thompson, a left-hander ranked 105th in the world, said she "was never in a position to control the match."

"Steffi never lets up, never gives you a break," Thompson said. "She just played amazingly."

Graf said she had no explanation for her awesome power.

"I don't work on it," she said. "I guess it is just natural."

Both defending champion Stefan Edberg and former titleholder Mats Wilander powered into the third round with victories at the National Tennis Center.

Edberg, aiming for his third successive title, trounced West German Alexander Mronz 6-4, 6-3, 6-1, while third-seeded Wilander, the winner in 1983 and 1984, whipped Australian Simon Youl 6-4, 6-2, 6-4.

Another Swede, sixth-seeded Anders Jarryd, and No. 8 Slobodan Zivojinovic of Yugoslavia also moved into the round of 32 in the first Grand Slam event of the season, but Swede Peter Lundgren, seeded 11th, was ousted.

Jarryd won 6-4, 7-6, 6-4 over Gian Luca Pozzi of Italy and Zivojinovic beat Steve Shaw of Great Britain 6-4, 6-4, 6-7, 6-3.

Australian John Frawley, climbing back up the world rankings after being sidelined with a fractured wrist, trounced Lundgren 6-1, 6-3, 6-3 in the only upset of the day among the men.

Graf was joined in the third round by fourth-seeded American Pam Shriver, defending champion and fifth-seeded Hana Mandlikova, eighth-seeded West German Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, ninth-seeded American Lori McNeil and 13th-seeded Swede Catarina Lindqvist.

Shriver won the last nine games in defeating South African-born Ros Fairbank 7-5, 6-0; Mandlikova tounced Hellas Ter Riet of The Netheralnds 6-1, 6-1 in 55 minutes and Kohde-Kilsch ousted Australian Jo-Anne Faull 6-2, 6-4.

Lindqvist breezed by American Ann Henricksson 6-2, 6-2, while McNeil ousted Dutch player Manon Bollegraf 6-4, 6-0.

Catherine Tanvier of France beat Jo Durie of Britain 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 to earn a meeting with Czech-born Mandlikova, who took out Australian citizenship earlier in the month.

Durie's loss left Britain without a player in the last 32 of the men's or women's singles.

Shriver will play Nicole Jagerman of The Netherlands in her round of 32 match. No. 2 Martina Navratilova and No. 3 Chris Evert were inactive today. Navratilova faces Akiko Kijimuta of Japan in the third round while Evert opposes two-time NCAA champion Patty Fendick of San Francisco.

Men's top seed Ivan Lendl also had the day off. He faces Australian left-hander Mark Woodforde on Friday.

Edberg, who plays American Dan Goldie in his third-round match, never was troubled against Mronz, ranked 195th in the world.

Edberg had too much power and control for his opponent.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote