TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Donna Vekic

Thread: Donna Vekic
View Single Post

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 07:16 AM   #3278
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donna Vekic

Fiinally on my computer to report my view of the match, as I've been awake for several hours already.

So there I was, set my alarm for 4:30 our time, hoping I'll be on time to tune in, but for some reason I woke up (OK, almost woke up) at 3:45, remembering how someone on the forum suggested we should maybe get ready for 4 AM, so decided to wake up fully, since I already turned on the tv to see how Murray was doing. Turns out I could've slept for another 45 mins and still be that much early - that's what you get when you listen to people on when to wake up

But onto the match. Donna started very well, but it was as if she got scared or nervous not when stepping on court, but after a few points have been played. Wozniacki basically didn't have to do all that much, as Donna looked paralyzed, and at times I almost got the impression that she doesn't care what happens out there. Of course, that's probably not true and is only the impression I got looking at her nervous demeanour. There were some good shots, some good serves, as well as returns and a few rallies which Donna won, which was particularly nice to see considering whom she faced. She also seemed bothered by the heat quite a lot, which is understandable to a point, but I honestly hoped she'll handle it better after all the interviews in which she said how much she enjoys tough conditions - not to mention after all the matches she played in South(/East) Asia and Africa in both, juniors and seniors. That's something she'll definately have to get used to if she is to become a top player. Towards the end, probably around 4:1 in the 2nd, Wozniacki figured that she doesn't have to work so much anymore so she loosened up a little and finally started making a mistake here and a mistake there, which definately helped Donna to get back somewhat, but not enough to get her on level terms, unfortunately.

Still, we really can't complain. She won a round here, which could've easily not have happened if the draw went against Donna. She showed some moments of really good quality tennis, and got a whole other level of competition experience to learn from. Sure, I was hoping for a few more games on her side of the scoreboard, but we have to understand that she is sill early in her tennis development.

Here's hoping she'll be ready and hungry for Fed Cup and then head well prepared to Malaysia
ma re is online now View My Blog!