TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Fed Cup 2013 (GO TEAM GB!)

View Single Post

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #3
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future
Re: Fed Cup 2013 (GO TEAM GB!)

I'm going to be honest, I liked last year's team a lot better than this one. Yes, Laura and Heather are both considerably better than they were last year and, as the rankings show they're stronger players than Bally and Anne were too. However, I can't help feeling that this year there's a lot less depth to the team. Last year, nobody needed to compete in two matches for the qualifying tie. Bally and Anne took care of the singles, Laura and Heather the doubles. It worked. This year, I don't think there's an argument that anyone other than Laura and Heather should play the singles matches. Heather's also the best doubles player (by a considerable margin) and should play the doubles because of that. Arguably, Laura's the second best at doubles and her doubling with Heather would probably be the strongest doubles team we could muster. Which potentially means that Heather and Laura will be involved in most if not all of the matches in this weak group.

My point is that last year, team GB felt like a team where everyone had a part to play. Now, it feels like Team Heather and Laura, plus two people ranked 100+ places lower.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote