TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Your biggest comeback in a tennis match???

View Single Post

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #80
country flag The Bulldog

The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of
Re: Your biggest comeback in a tennis match???

I've saved match-points quite a few times, especially in the last year or so. Most of the time it comes when down a set and the second-set gets quite tight and the opponent obviously gets the chance to close out the match. However I would say my greatest ever comeback would be a 7-6, 6-7, 7-6 win I had in the summer last year on grass in the local box league. The surface wasn't offering much of a bounce and the ball was coming through the court so quickly that day. It will come as no surprise that there were no breaks, and I would estimate nearly an ace per service game for both my opponent and I.

The comeback part of it was in the final set tie-breaker where I was 6-1* down and he had five match points with two to come on his serve. I had to work very hard to save the first couple of match points on my own serve. Two second-serves that weren't especially good, but I managed to get into the rallies early and come through the court with powerful forehands and force an error from him in the first match point and put away a straight-forward chance at the net in the second match point. At this moment, I was playing without pressure because I knew my opponent would likely bang down an unreturnable serve in one of the next two points, so I thought my chances were limited. At *6-3, he only rolled in the first serve, which surprised me, but I was able to hit a commanding slice back and get into the net to execute a good enough stop volley from the response. He double-faulted in the next point, so it was back on serve in the breaker. I was pumped and hit two excellent first serves to force a match point of my own. One was an ace out-wide and the other yielded an easy fore-court backhand put away. Poor fella double-faulted again to give me the match, but I had to play some great points to get back in it, but also get a lot if luck with him double-faulting twice at the death.

It's a sequence of points I remember really vividly and pretty sure I always will.
The Bulldog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote