TennisForum.com - View Single Post - AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel.

View Single Post

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #1034
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AO 2013: The Bridesmaid-Bride Double. The Sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.M View Post
Well to tell you the truth Maria seemed a bit sluggish on court. She served very well and her movement was flawless but the variety wasn't there. AO 2008 anyone? Her variety from the beginning there was immense. She needs to bring that against scrubs asap.
Isn't that what we've all been hoping for the past few years? I realize that in 2010 and 2011, Maria had more important things to worry about, like finding a way to improve that serve and build fitness and confidence. But, overall, there hasn't been any evolution to Maria's game since coming back from the shoulder injury. It continues to be baseline, baseline, baseline. We only see off-speed shots out of desperation, trips to the net only when she has a distinct advantage in the point, and the occasional just-for-the-heck-of-it drop shot or lob.

You need intelligence and creativity to win those semis and finals against the very best players. You can't bludgeon your way to titles. So I don't think it's an accident that Maria has a considerable losing record in finals since the surgery. She just hasn't shown the variety needed to win the big points in the biggest matches.

But even with her limitations and stubbornness, I still think she's the second best player. So if she ever did finally go back to doing more of the little things, like in her younger days, she could really be an even bigger force.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote