TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Donna Vekic

Thread: Donna Vekic
View Single Post

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #3222
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donna Vekic

Quote:
Originally Posted by petar_pan View Post
I just saw this girl was injured from September last year. This year she won just 2 games in her one and only match. All that means this win is nothing that big, it's big because Vekic is just 16, big promise and it is GS. But we really don't know how good Vekic really is.
However, we can't expect big results until her 20th birthday.
Well, partially you are right, an injury time-out is a factor, but given Donna's age and inexperience on the big stage (compared to Hlavackova, who has won huge titles and an Olympic medal in doubles), Donna could've easily choked this match away, like so many of her peers would in the same situation. An in-form Hlavackova surely would've been a bigger obstacle, but if we consider the scoreline, I'm not sure Donna would lose it. We can also say that Donna had quite a long break, of course minus the injury, cause she played her last competitive match in early November.

And could you please define "big results"? For me, for example, a big result is a 4th round of a grand slam, because of how rarely our players ever got that far. I don't think we'll have to wait 4 more years to see Donna achieve it. Also, winning any WTA title is a big result if you ask me (Majoli has done it only 8 times in her whole career), and Donna was already a match away from achieving it.

I think we Croats as fans suffer from too high expectations syndrome, and need to try to play the sport ourselves in order to appreciate results of our pros a bit more. But then, with grand slam champions and Davis Cup winners, who wouldn't be spoiled...
ma re is online now View My Blog!