TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Jan 12th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #2482
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

No. 1-seeded Graf scores easy victory
Houston Chronicle
Tuesday, JANUARY 12, 1988
Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia - Top-seeded Steffi Graf and defending champion Hana Mandlikova both scored rapid victories today to advance to the second round of the women's singles of the $1.9 million Australian Open tennis championships.

Graf recorded a 6-3, 6-1 Center Court triumph over Amy Jonsson of Norway, who is ranked 176th in world.

Mandlikova, a native of Czechoslovakia who took out Australian citizenship three weeks ago, romped past former French Open champion Mima Jausovec of Yugoslavia 6-4, 6-1 on an outside court.

Other seeds advancing in the women's singles today included No. 6 Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia, who defeated American Jamie Golder 6-2, 6-2, and No. 9 Lori McNeil of Houston, who stopped fellow American Dee Ann Hansel 6-2, 6-1.

But Heather Ludloff of Foster City, Calif., surprised 16th-seeded Elizabeth Smylie of Australia 6-1, 6-3.

In women's singles play, second seeded Martina Navratilova trounced Australian Elizabeth Minter 6-3, 6-0.

Other women to advance included third-seeded Chris Evert, No. 7 Zina Garrison of Houston, No. 10 Barbara Potter and No. 11 Sylvia Hanika of West Germany.

Graf, 18, said she was feeling no pressure going into the first Grand Slam event of the year defending her world No. 1 ranking.

"You get used to being No. 1 fairly quickly," she said.

Graf said she had been determined not to underestimate the little-known Jonsson.

"I take every match very seriously. Today wasn't easy. She was left-handed and her serve gave me some problems," the West German said.

Graf dominated Jonsson with some blistering ground strokes, particularly on the forehand.

The match was interrupted by rain at 2-0 in the second set, but resumed after a delay of 15 minutes.

Graf criticized the newly introduced South Korean-made Nassau balls, which she said were "heavy."

The fifth-seeded Mandlikova, playing her first major event as an Australian, was watched by only a handful of fans on an outside court.

"Don't ask me how it feels to be playing as an Australian. Ask me after I've played my next match," she said.

In men's singles action today, No. 7 Henri Leconte of France, No. 14 Jonas B. Svensson of Sweden and No. 16 Wally Masur of Australia all advanced.

Temperatures approached 100 degrees early in the day, but clouds cooled the temperature and it rained briefly midway through the afternoon.

Leconte defeated Australian Peter Carter 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4; Svensson crushed Bruce Derlin of New Zealand 6-0, 6-1, 6-0; while Masur beat Thomas Hogstedt of Sweden 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1.

Americans Derrick Rostagno, Todd Witsken and Sammy Giammalva of Houston also advanced. Giammalva downed compatriot Tim Wilkison 6-2, 6-4, 6-4, while Rostagno ousted South African Gary Muller 6-4, 7-6, 7-5 and Witsken rallied to beat Japanese qualifier Shuzo Matsuoka 5-7, 7-5, 6-3, 6-2.

Australian Brod Dyke upset ninth-seeded Jakob Hlasek of Switzerland 6-3, 6-3, 6-4.

"It's always good to beat a seed, but the hot weather favored me because my fitness became a factor," Dyke said.

Dyke is ranked 103rd in the world to Hlasek's 24th.

Among Monday's winners in the men's singles were top-seeded Ivan Lendl and Wimbledon champion Pat Cash.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote