TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1983

Thread: 1983
View Single Post

Old Jan 12th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #29
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

EVERT ROUTS TEMESVARI, GAINS SEMIS
The Miami Herald
Saturday, February 5, 1983
JIM MARTZ

Chris Evert Lloyd and South Florida clay courts go together like Nureyev and a stage, or Dorothy Hamill and ice.

Evert is an artist on the surface, and Friday night she painted another opponent into a corner. This time it was Andrea Temesvari, who was only five years old the last time Evert lost a tennis match on clay in South Florida.

Temesvari, a 16-year-old Hungarian with considerable poise and promise, battled Evert to 3-3 in the first set before succumbing, 6-3, 6-0, as 1,852 chilled fans watched the quarterfinals of the $150,000 Murjani Cup at PGA National Resort in Palm Beach Gardens.

It was Evert's 59th consecutive victory on clay in her native area. The last time she lost was to Denise Carter in 1971 at Lighthouse Point. In 14 tournaments since then, her only setback came indoors at the Hollywood Sportatorium in 1979 when she bowed to Greer Stevens.

But Evert, who will play Wendy Turnbull at 2 p.m. today, wasn't thinking about streaks Friday night. She was simply trying to warm up to the 1983 season in her bid to regain the No. 1 ranking from Martina Navratilova.

"I felt I played a good match," said Evert, who whipped Temesvari, 6-0, 6-3, in the final of last year's Swiss Open in their only other meeting. "She had a break point to take a 4-3 lead, but when I won that game, I got a lot of confidence.

"This was the best I played in this tournament. I was very consistent. She's very difficult to play because of her heavy topspin shots. It took a few games to get used to her, then I tried to hit a lot of short balls to her."

In the other semifinal, to be played tonight at 7, second- seeded Andrea Jaeger will meet fourth-seeded Hana Mandlikova. Friday afternoon's quarterfinals were all mismatches as Turnbull, seeded third, whipped Iva Budarova, 6-0, 6-1; Jaeger got revenge for a recent loss in Houston to Zina Garrison, 6-1, 6-1; and Mandlikova dumped Ros Fairbank, 6-0, 6-1.

Temesvari was no match for Evert in the second set, losing the first 10 points and winning only four points in the first five games.

"I feel I was playing very good until three-all," said Temesvari, ranked 27th in the world and an upset winner over seventh-seeded Kathy Rinaldi in the third round. "Maybe I got a little tired and lost my concentration. And she got better.

"I think she was nervous at first and got very comfortable in the second set."

Somebody pointed out to Temesvari that her one-hour and eight-minute match was the longest of the day by more than 20 minutes.

"Oh, my gosh, that wasn't very hard to do," she said, laughing. "I tried to do more. But Chrissie is changing her game more -- she's hitting some slices and some topspin."

But why wouldn't someone so tall as Temesvari (she is 5-9) come to the net more often? She avoided it as if it were a barbed-wire fence.

"I didn't come to the net because it was so dark," she explained. "I didn't see the balls. I need contacts. I missed three or four volleys so easy, so I tried to stay back."

Staying back on clay against Evert would be like the Dolphins trying to stop Washington running back John Riggins with an eight-man defense. When Turnbull takes on Evert today, it's certain she won't lay back.

"Wendy has more weapons than the first three players I playad this week," said Evert, who beat Kathy Horvath and Yvonne Vermaak in the first two rounds. "She prefers faster courts. You won't see a lot of long rallies and high balls. Maybe there will be more winners and fewer errors."

Friday's results

QUARTERFINALS

Singles -- Wendy Turnbull d. Iva Budarova, 6-0, 6-1; Andrea Jaeger d. Zina Garrison, 6-1, 6-1; Hana Mandlikova d. Ros Fairbank, 6-0, 6-1; Chris Evert Lloyd d. Andrea Temesvari, 6-3, 6-0.

Doubles -- Kathy Jordan-Paula Smith d. Duk Hee Lee-Lucia Romanov, 6-3, 7-5; JoAnne Russell-Anne White d. Lisa Bonder-Beth Herr, 6-4, 6-1; Rosie Casals-Wendy Turnbull d. Petra Delhees- Marcella Mesker, 6-4, 6-3; Barbara Potter-Sharon Walsh d. Anne Hobbs-Susan Leo, 6-3, 6-7, 7-6; Mandlikova-Virginia Ruzici d. Casals-Turnbull, 1-6, 7-5, 6-4.

Today's matches

2 p.m. -- Turnbull vs. Evert; followed by Potter-Walsh vs. Antonoplis-Jordan or White-Russell.

7 p.m. -- Jaeger vs. Mandlikova; followed by Mandlikova- Ruzici vs. K. Jordan-P. Smith.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote