TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1983

Thread: 1983
View Single Post

Old Jan 12th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #28
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

TEMESVARI MASTERS HOSTILE FANS, RINALDI
The Miami Herald
Friday, February 4, 1983
SANDY KEENAN

Andrea Temesvari, a 16-year-old tennis player from Hungary, weathered harassment from fans Thursday as she upset local favorite and No. 7 seed Kathy Rinaldi, 6-3, 7-6 (11-9), in the third round of the $150,000 Murjani Cup at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens.

Temesvari deftly handled blustering winds and continuously nailed Rinaldi to the back walls of the court with high topspins, yet she almost lost the match to Rinaldi's ranters.

The commotion began in the second set with Temesvari holding a 4-1 lead. About 50 Rinaldi followers in a crowd of 250 clapped at Temesvari's double faults and applauded her mistakes -- blasphemy according to tennis etiquette.

"It was terrible. I was very upset," said Temesvari, ranked 27th in the world. "I told the umpire to tell them it's not nice what they're doing."

Rattled a bit, Temesvari lost her concentration while the score went to 4-4, then Rinaldi took the lead. She served to Temesvari at 6-5 but lost the game without winning a single point, forcing the tiebreaker.

Temesvari took the lead but then gave up two match points at 6-4. Then Rinaldi had her turn, gaining three chances to win the set on one point. Finally, at 10-9, Temesvari put away a volley at the net to secure the match.

"It's a very good victory for me," said Temesvari, ranked 146th on the Women's Tennis Association computer a year ago. "I saw her play in Marco Island last week and said to myself, 'Don't be scared; just because she's 15th in the world doesn't mean she's that good."

Rinaldi, who is from nearby Martin Downs, complimented Temesvari on her play -- then added that the hometown fans had an effect on her, too.

"Playing in front of family and friends adds pressure to playing," she said. "I get nervous and want to play better." Instead, she said, she was "in a big rush and making too many unforced errors" before her second-set comeback.

In today's quarterfinals, Temesvari will meet top-seeded Chris Evert Lloyd, who defeated Yvonne Vermaak, 3-6, 6-0, 6-0. Temesvari lost to Evert, 6-0, 6-3, in the final of the 1982 Swiss Open, but she wasn't afraid to play her again.

"Everybody wants to beat the best," she said. "I'm not saying I can -- I just hope I play well. I like to play against the best."

"I think Temesvari can hurt me more than Rinaldi could have," said Evert. "She's big and strong and can play aggressively or patiently. She's a tough little player."

No. 2 seed Andrea Jaeger, who defeated JoAnne Russell, 6-4, 6-2, after routing Paula Smith, 6-1, 6-1, in a rain-delayed second-round match,, may not be jealous of Temesvari's tennis, but she's envious of her looks. Temesvari, a blue-eyed blonde, is a flashy-looking 5-9 and 125 pounds.

"She's a year younger than I am, and I swear she looks 21," said Jaeger, 17. "She should be doing centerfolds, not playing tennis. If I had her looks, I would go for it."

Temesvari travels with her father and coach Otto, speaks three languages (English, French and Hungarian) and plays basketball when she's not playing tennis.

She turned pro at the age of 14 and has been the No. 1 player in Hungary since. As she climbed on the computer lists from 146th to her present ranking of 27th, she earned $46,385.

But "I try not to think of the computer because I don't understand it," said Temesvari, who is finishing high school through correspondence courses. "One week, I didn't even play and moved up in the rankings. I just hope the computer is nice to me."

Even if the fans aren't.

Thursday's results

SINGLES

Second round -- Betsy Nagelsen d. Rosie Casals, 6-3, 6-4; Hana Mandlikova d. Jenny Klitch, 6-2, 6-3; JoAnne Russell d. Susan Mascarin, 6-3, 6-3; Andrea Jaeger d. Paula Smith, 6-1, 6-1; Andrea Temesvari d. Shelly Solomon, 6-0, 6-1; Andrea Leand d. Lisa Bonder, 4-6, 6-2, 7-5.

Third round -- Iva Budarova d. Anne White. 7-6 (8-6) 6-3; Wendy Turnbull d. Leand, 6-1, 6-1; Temesvari d. Kathy Rinaldi 6-3, 7-6.

DOUBLES

First round -- Rosie Casals/Wendy Turnbull d. Chris O'Neil/Pam Whytcross, 6-3, 6-2; Petra Delhees/Marcella Mesker d. Laura Dupont/Nancy Yeargin, 6-3, 6-1; Helena Sukova/Catherine Tanvier d. Leslie Allen/Lelee Forood, 7-5, 6-3; Beth Herr/Lisa Bonder d. Wendy White/Leigh Thompson, 6-7 (4-7) 6-2, 6-2; JoAnne Russell/Anne White d. Kathy Horvath/Yvonne Vermaak, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2).

Second round -- Kathy Jordan/Paula Smith d. Betsy Nagelsen/ Kathy Rinaldi, 6-3, 6-1; Lea Antonoplis/Barbara Jordan d. Andrea Leand/Sabina Simmonds, 7-6 (7-3) 6-2; Duk Hee Lee/Lucia Romanov d. Pat Medrado/Claudia Monteiro, 7-5, 3-6, 6-2;

Hana Mandlikova/Virginia Ruzici d. Betty Stove/ Ros Fairbank, 6-1, 6-2.

Today's matches

Stadium Court, beginning at noon -- Iva Budarova vs. Wendy Turnbull; Zina Garrison vs. Andrea Jaeger; Hana Mandlikova vs. Ros Fairbank; Anne Hobbs/Susan Leo vs. Barbara Potter/Sharon Walsh.

Stadium Court, beginning at 7 p.m. -- Andrea Temesvari vs. Chris Evert Lloyd; Rosie Casals/Wendy Turnbull or Petra Delhees/Marcella Mesker vs. Hana Mandlikova/Virginia Ruzici.

Court 8, beginning at noon -- Duk Hee Lee/Lucia Romanov vs. Kathy Jordan/Paula Smith; Lisa Bonder/Beth Herr vs. JoAnne Russell/Anne White; Rosie Casals/ Wendy Turnbull vs. Petra Delhees/Marcella Mesker; Lisa Bonder/Beth Herr or JoAnne Russell/Anne White vs. Lea Antonoplis/Barbara Jordan.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote