TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1983

Thread: 1983
View Single Post

Old Jan 12th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #26
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

EVERT BEGINS PUSH FOR TOP WITH VICTORY
The Miami Herald
Wednesday, February 2, 1983
SANDY KEENAN

Chris Evert Lloyd has lost the luxuries that go with the world's No. 1 ranking, the perks that accompany the top perch of women's professional tennis.

No longer can she afford to take three-month respites at the beginning of a year. No longer can she attend tournaments as infrequently as heathens attend church.

"I'm afraid the vacation is over now," said Evert after disposing of Kathy Horvath, 6-2, 6-3, in the second round of the $150,000 Murjani Cup, which will run through Sunday at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens.

In her first match of the year, Evert dished up lethal dropshots, spliced a few lines with her characteristic groundstrokes and toyed with a whipping wind. The 28-year-old Fort Lauderdale native tagged her own performance at 25 per cent below her optimal skill.

"It's going to take awhile to get back," said the tournament's top seed. "I was happy to get the first match over with, to get through the night, but I think I can play better."

Andrea Jaeger is the second seed in the 56-player tournament played on Evert's favorite surface -- soft, slow clay. Before Tuesday, Evert's last match was on Dec. 12, when she fell to Martina Navratilova, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, in the Toyota Championships and surrendered all hope of being named the No. 1 women's player in the world.

"I don't want to play catch-up tennis all year," said Evert. "In the past, I've taken two to three months off and come into the season more eager."

No longer.

Horvath proved a tougher match psychologically than physically for Evert's 1983 debut in front of a sellout crowd of 3,204. The 17-year-old from Largo, Fla. -- ranked 45th in the world -- pushed Evert to two match points at the Italian Open in 1981.

"Ever since I almost beat her, she always plays me tough," said Horvath, jovial after the match despite the loss. "She doesn't take me lightly."

Horvath tried to mix up shots and throw off Evert's baseline barrage, but she couldn't put together an impressive portfolio. After winning the first game of the match, Horvath lost her luster while Evert picked up momentum. The crowd was quiet as the wind swirled crazily during the 90-minute match.

Evert played before her parents and her sister, Jeanne Evert Dubin, as she beat Horvath for the fourth time in three years. Thursday, Evert will meet the winner of today's match between Yvonne Vermaak and Kathy Jordan.

"The second match will be easier," said Evert. "It's going to take awhile to get back to the way I was playing at the end of last year."

Tuesday's match against Horvath was Evert's 858th career victory, according the Women's Tennis Association figures. Her winning percentage is roughly 92 per cent.

Still, No. 2 must try harder.

Tuesday's results

SINGLES

First round -- Joanne Russell d. Duk Hee Lee, 6-2, 6-1; Andrea Temesvari d. Pam Casale, 6-1, 6-3; Petra Delhees d. Sabina Simmons, 6-0, 7-6 (7-5); Paula Smith d. Barbara Hallquist, 7-5, 6-2; Rosalyn Fairbank d. Wendy White, 6-1, 6-3; Lea Antonopolis d. Andrea Leand, 7-5, 6-2; Jenny Klitch d. Kim Shaeffer, 6-4, 0-6, 6-4; Zina Garrison d. Manuela Maleeva, 6-1, 7-5; Rosie Casals d. Christine O'Neil, 6-2, 7-5; Kathy Rinaldi d. Vicki Nelson, 6-3, 5-7, 6-3.

Second round -- Iva Budarova d. Terry Phelps, 6-4, 6-1; Anne White d. Virginia Ruzici, 6-3, 6-7 (8-10) 7-5; Wendy Turnbull d. Beth Herr, 4-6, 6-4, 6-1; Chris Evert Lloyd d. Kathy Horvath, 6-2, 6-3.

DOUBLES

First round -- Andrea Jaeger-Mary Lou Piatek d. Vicki Nelson-Julie Harrington, 6-0, 7-5; Kathy Jordan-Paula Smith d. Pam Casale-Kim Sands, 7-6 (7-3), 6-1; Andrea Leand-Sabina Simmonds d. Camile Benjamin-Corinne Vanier, 6-1, 6-4.

Today's schedule

Stadium Court (10 a.m.) -- Barbara Potter-Sharon Walsh vs. Ann Henrickson-Barbara Hallquist; Yvonne Vermaak vs. Kathy Jordan; Joanne Russell vs. Susan Mascarin; Rosie Casals-Wendy Turnbull vs. Pam Whytcross-Chris O'Neil; Joanne Russell-Anne White vs. Kathy Horvath-Yvonne Vermaak.

Stadium Court (7 p.m.) -- Andrea Jaeger vs. Paula Smith; Hana Mandlikova vs. Jenny Klitch.

Court 8 (10 a.m.) -- Leslie Allen vs. Amy Holton; Betsy Nagelsen vs. Rosie Casals; Lisa Bonder vs. Andrea Leand; Leslie Allen-Lele Forood vs. Helena Sukova-Catherine Tanvier; Wendy White-Leigh Thompson vs. Lisa Bonder-Beth Herr.

Court 10 (10 a.m.) -- Felicia Raschiatore-Kim Steinmetz vs. Pat Medrado-Claudia Monteiro; Anne Hobbs-Susan Leo vs. Hana Strachonova-Laura Arraya; Shelly Solomon vs. Andrea Temesvari; Laura Dupont-Nancy Yeargin vs. Petra Delhees-Marcella Mesker. Barbara Jordan-Lea Antonoplis vs. Andrea Leand-Sabina Simmonds.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote