TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1983

Thread: 1983
View Single Post

Old Jan 12th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #22
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

MANDLIKOVA, JAEGER TOP 'KIDDIE' OPPONENTS
The Miami Herald
Sunday, January 30, 1983
JIM MARTZ

Welcome to the Kiddie Corps Open -- alias the $100,000 Avon Tennis Cup women's tournament -- in which 20-year-old Hana Mandlikova was the old lady of Saturday's semifinals.

If a driver's license were required for entry in this tournament, officials would have had trouble filling out the 56- player draw. Two unseeded teenagers advanced to the semifinals, leaving veterans and other members of the Kiddie Corps in their wake.

Saturday afternoon, top-seeded Andrea Jaeger, 17, defeated 16-year-old Hungarian Andrea Temesvari, 6-3, 6-2, before 2,117 spectators at the Marriott Marco Beach Resort. Saturday night before another 2,100, third-seeded Mandlikova edged 15-year-old Michelle Torres of Northbrook, Ill., 6-4, 6-4.

Jaeger, from Lincolnshire, Ill., and Mandlikova will meet in today's 1 p.m. final, with the winner earning $18,000 and gaining momentum heading into this week's Murjani Cup at Palm Beach Gardens.

Asked how it felt to be the oldest player in the semifinals, Mandlikova grimaced and said, "I don't think I'm old. I've got 10 more years left."

But she said she welcomes the addition of more teenage phenoms on the circuit. "It's very good for tennis," said Mandlikova, who won the French Open at age 19 in 1981. "It's a change for the future."

Temesvari, ranked 34th on the Women's Tennis Association computer, knocked off Laura Arraya, 17, and fourth-seeded Virginia Ruzici en route to Saturday's match with Jaeger. Torres, an amateur whose first tennis lesson was given to her by Jaeger's father six years ago, knocked off second-seeded Wendy Turnbull and 15-year-old Kathy Rinaldi, who was seeded eighth, to reach the semifinals.

Because Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert Lloyd and Tracy Austin aren't entered here, Jaeger inherited the role as the player to beat. She said the added pressure doesn't bother her, though.

"I'm sure a lot of people are expecting me to win," she said. "And I'm pretty comfortable with my clay-court game right now.

"I always go into a tournament expecting to win, but I'm not going to go all over the place talking about it. If you're going to talk, you might as well talk with your racquet."

That's what Jaeger did as she gave Temesvari a lesson in clay-court patience, moon balls and stamina.

The Mandlikova-Torres match featured 14 service breaks in 20 games. After Mandlikova squandered a match point at 5-3 and double-faulted to lose service, she broke Torres to win the match.

Mandlikova has a 5-4 career record over Jaeger. They have not met since Jaeger won, 6-1, 6-3, in the Citizen Cup last spring at Palm Beach Gardens.

"She plays every match the same," Mandlikova said. "Everything depends on me, not on her. It's very important how I serve. If I serve well, I'm going to beat her; if I don't, it will be very difficult."

In the doubles semifinals, Jaeger and Mary Lou Piatek beat Kathy Jordan and Paula Smith, 6-1, 1-6, 7-6, and Rosie Casals and Turnbull beat Yvonne Vrmaak and Kathy Horvach, 7-5, 6-2.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote