TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Margaret Court Picture Thread

View Single Post

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #28
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all
Re: Margaret Court Picture Thread

It is funny how often we get back to talking about these classic Court v Evert matches of 1973!

The French Open win was indeed incredible, because after that Evert only lost five times at Roland Garros; in fact, after 1973 she only lost once on clay over the next eight years. I think she was maybe even harder to beat in the early 1970s, when she first arrived on the scene, because no one had figured out how to beat her. Someone has put up on YouTube excerpts from Chris's match against Frankie Durr at the 1971 US Open, and you can tell what a horror she was back then, even on grass, with her torture-chamber dropshots. The Chris-Madge Wimbledon encounter of 1973 is simply classic tennis of an incredibly high standard, and Evert's shots are all the amazing when you remember how fast the grass was back then. BJK never ever beat Evert on clay, so for Margaret to tough out her French win against the Ice Maiden in 1973 was something extraordinary and testimony to her amazing all-court skills. I have not seen their US Open encounter, but what I would give for a box-set of these three GS matches from 1973!
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote