TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread

View Single Post

Old Jan 10th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #866
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon9 View Post
Thanks Petronius for your extensive answers you may not agree but I like Dvorak maybe something like personal taste.

I have never been to Prague but if I travel to the city I will certainly go to Revnice.
Of course the communist would not make a hero of Martina that would have told they were very wrong in being so hard on her before her defection.

I always thought were it the gods to intervene that Martina won her 9th Wimbledon title half a year after the Velvet Revolution?

To me Martina has always been the most special player, I really do not know why I missed the first years of her career but I think 1977 or 78 she really did strike me.

I am very sorry that she lost a lot of years through her transition after her defection because she then would have been hands down the best player ever, for me she still is but not for others.

Remember just three titles less then Margaret Court her natural enemy 62 against 59. But then nobody had to do it like Martina and she still did remarkebly well.
When is the term of Kaderka president of the Czech tennis federation over, just asking you know why.
Sorry for late answer. Interesting that you've never visited Prague, you should do it at least once!

I'm not sure what is your question about Mr. Kaderka, but I know that he had some personal dispute with Martina and he initially did not invite her to the Fed Cup final. Unlike Ivan Lendl - who arrived for the Davis Cup final and celebrated the win with the players - Martina decided not to come. It may be Kaderka's fault, because some think that he is rude.

If you're asking about his term of office, in February 2010 he was elected for the fourth consecutive term (for 4 years) which should expire in 2014.

Yes, it's nice that she won in 1990 after the fall of communism. I was actually hoping she would make it to 10 titles in 1994, but it was hard against Martinez, who was 16 years younger!

She may have won more without dealing with transition issues, but I'm glad that she inspired Melanie Molitorova to name her daughter after Martina and turn her into an amazing player. And then there's the 2011 Wimbledon champ Petra Kvitova, who was also inspired by Martina.

So it's all good.

P.S. I hope you enjoyed the recent Martina vs. Martina exho in Adelaide!
P.P.S. Don't get me wrong, I love DvořŠk and frequently play his Humoresque on the piano

Last edited by Petronius : Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote