TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Mona Barthel - Volume 2

View Single Post

Old Jan 10th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #137
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
When i saw her playing against Mona last time she played a very tactical and clever game so it reminded me a bit of Brad Gilbert. She primarily played a defensive game at that day but also attacked at the right moment and thats how Brad played some years ago. I have to admit that i havent seen her that often so maybe she uses very different tactics depending on her opponents. And remember HowardH who characterized Flipkens in his post as an opportunistic player (this is a compliment i think).

And Brad was himself an opportunistic player who also attacked when he needed to but in general he was defensive minded, thats true. But you cant compare such a variable player with Wozniacki who really has hands of stone.
You're looking at it too simplistically (just in terms of "defensive or not"). It's not just a matter of whether you defend but how. You can't just lump Brad Gilbert with, say, Murray or Hewitt. Brad Gilbert wasn't defending - he was literally pushing! That was his stock in trade.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote