TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1983

Thread: 1983
View Single Post

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #20
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

AT MARCO, DIFFERENT STROKES FOR TWO DIFFERENT ANDREAS
The Miami Herald
Sunday, January 30, 1983
JEFF LEEN

The opening semifinal at the $100,000 Avon Cup tournament here was a battle between Andreas -- two blond, high-school-age girls with two-handed backhands and two vastly different games.

The better Andrea turned out to be Andrea Jaeger, the 17-year-old from Lincolnshire, Ill., who is ranked No. 3 in the world.

Relying on the baseline game that has allowed her to beat Chris Evert-Lloyd on clay, Jaeger outsteadied Andrea Temesvari, a 16-year-old Hungarian, 6-3, 6-2. The match took 87 minutes on the Har-Tru surface at the Marriott's Marco Beach Resort.

Temesvari had upset fourth-seeded Virginia Ruzici of Romania 6-3, 6-2, to earn the right to play Jaeger, the tournament's first seed.

"She's very steady," Temesvari said after the match. "Against her, you have to hit balls and go to the net."

Temesvari sliced backhands and swatted sharply angled forehands but she could not come up with the approach shots to successfully gain the net against Jaeger, who was content for most of the match to sit back and let Temesvari miss.

In the first set, each Andrea held her opening serve and the early games consisted mainly of long rallies pitting two-handed backhand against two-handed backhand.

Jaeger went up 4-2 in the first set when Temesvari lost her
serve on a double fault, and from that point on it was all Jaeger.

As she fell behind, Temesvari began going for the lines and missing, while Jaeger hit looping "moon balls" at her.

The pattern continued into the second set, where Jaeger broke Temesvari's serve to take a 2-1 lead. Temesvari held serve one more time, but Jaeger won the last three games and ran out the match.

Afterward, Temesvari, who has made the quantum leap from No. 146 in the tennis world to No. 34 in the space of a year, contrasted the playing styles of the Jaeger-generation of American players and the Temesvari-generation of European players.

"Every European, I think they want to go in to the net," Temesvari said. "They serve, rally, slice, dropshot and try to go in. They have more variety. In America, they're very steady. They do the same thing 20 times."

Temesvari, who is 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs 125 pounds, said she is already a recognizable figure on the streets of Hungary.

"I'm famous, yeah," she said when asked.

For Jaeger, the match seemed to be business as usual in her drive up the mountain of computer rankings.

"I'm a defensive player," Jaeger said after the match. "Although my game is basically the same, I play a little differently against each player. If someone wants to stay back, I'll stay back with them. I feel pretty confident with my clay- court game. If someone attacks, I can attack. But in the matches I've played here, I haven't had to. Basically, I just waited [against Temesvari]."

Jaeger described her game as an "all-around type game. I don't have anything that stands out nor do I have any big weaknesses."

She said if anything stood out for her right now, it was her mental attitude, which she displayed when she was asked if she wanted to be number one. Noting the absence of Martina Navratilova and Evert-Lloyd, Jaeger said she didn't think she should talk about being number one without having the opportunity to prove it.

"If you're going to talk," she said. "You might as well do it with your racquet."

In today's final, Jaeger will play Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia, who beat Michelle Torres of the United States, 6-4, 6-4, later Saturday.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote