TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1983

Thread: 1983
View Single Post

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #18
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

JAEGER ROMPS IN AVON
The Miami Herald
Friday, January 28, 1983
From Herald Wire Services

Top-seeded Andrea Jaeger easily disposed of JoAnne Russell, 6-3, 6-1, Thursday in third-round play of the $100,000 Avon Cup tennis tournament at Marco Island, Fla.

"She outsteadied me, no doubt about that," Russell said after the match. "My game plan, which failed, was to bring her to the net. I'm just not patient enough for this kind of game."

In other matches, 15-year-old Michelle Torres eliminated Lee Antonoplis, 6-1, 6-1. In earlier play, Torres had upset No. 2 seed Wendy Turnbull, 6-1, 6-1.

Virginia Ruzici defeated Helena Sukova, 7-5, 6-0; Hana Mandlikova beat Camille Benjamin, 6-1, 6-4; Zina Garrison topped Marcella Mesker, 6-2, 6-4; Dianne Fromholtz whipped Susan Mascarin, 6-4, 6-2; Andrea Temesvari downed Terry Phelps, 6-4, 6-4, and Kathy Rinaldi of Jensen Beach, Fla., ousted Leigh Thompson, 6-2, 6-0.

More tennis

Swedish star Mats Wilander demolished Ramesh Krisnhan, 6-1, 6-1, to gain the semifinals of the $255,000 Guaruja (Brazil) Grand Prix. Top seed Jose-Luis Clerc of Argentina defeated Francisco Gonzalez of Paraguay, 6-4, 6-4; Belgian Bernard
Boileau upset third-seeded Andres Gomez of Ecuador, 7-5, 6-1, and fourth-seeded Tomas Smid of Czechoslovakia stopped Pat Dupre of the U.S., 6-2, 6-2, in other quarterfinals.

Boxing

World Boxing Association featherweight champ Eusebio Pedroza will defend his title for the 16th time when he meets No. 1 contender Rocky Lockridge March 5 in a nationally televised 15- round bout at the Showboat Hotel in Las Vegas. Pedroza, who turns 30 two days before the fight, has a 34-3-1 record. Lockridge, 28, of Paterson, N.J., is 28-2 ... Scott Frank of Oakland, N.J., scored a 10-round unanimous decision over Steve Zouski, Brockton, Mass., in a heavyweight bout Wednesday night in Totowa, N.J., boosting his record to 19-0-1 with 14 knockouts.

Other sports

The Tampa Bay Bandits of the United States Football League signed Florida State tailback Ricky Williams and continued their pursuit of All-America offensive tackle Jimbo Covert of Pitt, their first-round draft pick. Covert met with Bugsy Engleberg, director of football operations for the Bandits but said he might hold off until after the NFL draft in April before making a decision on which league he will join ... Swiss skiing ace Peter Mueller is recovering in a Sarejevo, Yugoslavia, hospital after suffering a concussion and a kidney injury during a downhill practice run Wednesday.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote