TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Which was Serena's easiest road to a Slam title?

View Single Post

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #31
country flag Orbis

Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future Orbis has a brilliant future
Re: Which was Serena's easiest road to a Slam title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Which dominates the Schnyder QF, Jankovic SF, Safina F lineup.

As you said Safina was on the rise. She was still outside the top 10 at this point and was new to that stage of GS-play. Jankovic was Ivanovic's bitch.

The fact is that at the start of Roland Garros 2008, none of the 7 players Ivanovic beat had ever reached a Grand Slam final, much less won one. Such a line-up has never happened before or since in Open Era Grand Slam history, AFAIK. (except for those rando late 70s RGs and AOs)
But everyone is Serena's bitch I guess Safina was inexperienced but she came back from the brink in important matches against Sharapova/Dementieva and then schooled Kuznetsova in the semis of that RG. If anything she lost the final more from being outplayed than from nerves She was rising with nothing to lose and Ana had been in the final before and it was her third final, so it was critical for her. But I never knew that point about her having not played anyone who reached a final, pretty shocking I guess. JJ reached the RG semis a year prior...it's not like she faced 7 journeywoman. I'll admit that it was definitely one of the most cakewalk draws though.
Orbis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote