TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Belfast riots

Thread: Belfast riots
View Single Post

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #41
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Belfast riots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halardfan View Post

...My position is moderate...to spell it out...

I want a united Ireland as soon as possible, providing it can be achieved in a peaceful way...
Just as the ANC had to reserve the right to use violence to end apartheid in South Africa, so did the Irish nationalists. Two nice (moderate) women in Northern Ireland shared the 1976 Nobel Peace Prize, for working accross the sectarian divide, as described on the Nobel website: http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_priz...laureates/1976. It amounted to nothing, until the 90's talks were started with the '94 ceasefire, and Bill Clinton giving terrorist Gerry Adams a US visa).

In terms of your quoted proviso, neither you nor I have a right to dictate how its achieved; its their country, not yours or mine. As both of ours continually learn the bitter price of trying to impose "our ways" on (now Afghanistan, with Iraq still unstable) I'm not willing to still try to... or 2B silent while Britain does, even indirectly. BTW, I (an agnostic) don't give a FF what either side's religion is, I'm just "rooting for" the end of outside assertions of continued sovereignty.