TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Why Do Players Say "I Have Nothing To Lose"?

View Single Post

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #39
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why Do Players Say "I Have Nothing To Lose"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calabar View Post
OK I get it. When you are an underdog, chances are you are going to lose. But that is a phrase I've heard by players who are both favorites and underdogs. I've also heard players who are part of a team use this rather SILLY phrase. Bear in mind that these are all PROFESSIONAL athletes claiming they have "nothing" to lose. How about your damn PRIDE? Isn't that enough to get one motiviated? If you really have nothing to lose, then what is the point of competing? Can you even call it "competing" when you take this attitude onto a court or whatever the sporting venue might be? Venus and Serena are my two favorite female athletes of any sport, and it really pisses me off to hear Serena (in particular) or any athlete uses this dumb, defeatist phrase before a professional match.
Anyone else feel this way?
If my recollection is correct, Serena only start saying this when she was coming back after a long absence due to health scare.
And that was truly humbling.

But as she started beating opponent left and right and kept saying it, it became her way to put pressure on her opponent.
Also, I think it shuts up the critics who have always accused her of being too arrogant, disrespectful of opponents, etc...

One more thing, while ti sound defeatist when it is said by other players, somehow, when Serena says it, I hear "Girl, you don't know what is coming your way, you'd better be ready..."

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote