TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Womens Tennis in General

View Single Post

Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 03:34 PM   #4908
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Womens Tennis in General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Why does Serena continue with her nothing to lose comments? Considering that almost everybody regards as the best player in the game and that she dominates the head to head with Vika (10-1 excluding Vika's Oz Open 2nd set retirement after winning the 1st set) and has won their last 9 matches losing only two sets, it seems rather ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
"I'm playing the best player in the world tomorrow" sounds a bit tongue in cheek coming from Serena. But on the other hand, if she had said the opposite of that people would say that she sounds a bit too cocky. There's always something.
Seems a pretty sensible thing to say to me. Just because she's odds-on to win and it would be a shock to everyone if she didn't, it doesn't mean it's impossible for her to lose. Nothing is 100%. And she doesn't want anyone throwing quotes back at her if she should lose. And her saying that hasn't caused her to have doubts and lose before so why change what works.

Also - she's been taken out of context and her intentions twisted around before - notably with that what she said about Dinara with Rome and Madrid. She can do without any of that.

Another thing. I think she wants to be seen as one of the girls but also a statesperson for them. And acting like an Eric Bristow or Muhammed Ali or a young Martina Hingis doesn't help her in that regard at all.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote