TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Petra Kvitova News and Articles

View Single Post

Old Dec 31st, 2012, 01:22 AM   #1910
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pling View Post
From a Reuters article on Brisbane results:

Sixth-seeded Czech Petra Kvitova recovered from a pre-tournament asthma scare to defeat Spain's Carla Suarez-Navarro 6-3 6-4.

Kvitova has been gasping and wheezing in Brisbane's humid weather and revealed one of her recent attacks had been her worst in three years.

The 2011 Wimbledon champion was unaware she was asthmatic until she nearly collapsed during an event in New York in 2009.

"I was playing a tournament in the Bronx and after about five minutes I had to sit down and relax and have a drink because I just couldn't move and I couldn't play," she wrote in a column for the Courier-Mail newspaper.

"I still feel really uncomfortable when I'm in this sort of hot and humid weather and it was at practise on Friday that I started to feel a bit similar to what I did in The Bronx."

There is a Bronx ITF event. Not sure if it's a memory or translation issue by someone. However she did lose there in straight sets (6-1 6-2) in August 2009, so it's quite possible.

If she did find out first in the Bronx ITF event, it would makes sense; cause that event is played in a park and can exacerbate any asthma or allergies.

Most media (and even Petra) stories say she discovered she had asthma at the US Open. But it was probably a fall out after the Bronx event. No big time media would probably be there to hear her story.

The irony is; she went deep into the 4th rd at the US Open and lost to Wickmayer, after defeating #1 ranked player the match before.

Based off what Petra has said in the past, I'm assuming she received a diagnosis or treatment from some local docs. And if so, does she still consult with them? Cause the last we heard last year, Petra's team had only mentioned Czech docs (though she travels around the world).
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote