TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Mona Barthel

Thread: Mona Barthel
View Single Post

Old Dec 25th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #4624
Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mona Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
Hi, i am new here on this forum.

I was watching Mona's style of play closely when she played against Mayr-Achleitner in the german league. It was for me plain to see that she uses a semi-western grip on her forehand which normally should allow her to make good defensive shots. So i dont think that her grip is the problem, maybe her lack of flexibilty in her wrist. She doesnt have the kind of wrist acceleration like Kerber has, especially when it comes to defense. I also think she looses some of her determination when she gets under pressure. Then she often starts slicing on her forehand what makes no sense to me. But i am sure she will improve over the next two years on her little weaknesses.

On the whole i would describe Mona as a pure natural swinger who can hit huge with effortless ease. When she is on she is always able to give her shots the right speed to make a winner. I have never seen so much talent in a female tennis player. Its really absurd!

But will she be successful (in terms of winning slams)? If she can build up the kind of determination and mental strength like Kerber has then clearly yes. But if she doesnt improve her mental abilities (maybe with the help of an experienced professional coach) she could become a tragic underachiever. In any case i will always admire her talent and enjoy watching her matches.
I forgot to welcome you. Sorry. Is Mona your 1st favorite player now? Good to see another Mona fan here.

I agree with you by the way. Great post. She obviously has a massive talent. Easily the most talented German on the tour. She can do anything with the tennis ball and she does that effortlessly. Probably some will laugh at me for saying this but I believe she is as talented as Kvitova or at least she is close to Petra in terms of raw talent.

I don't expect from her to win slams or become top 5 player to be honest but I hope she will have a great/good career with no major injuries. Mona is probably the best thing happened to womens tennis since 2011/2012. For me at least.

Chakvetadze Barthel Pavlyuchenkova Kerber Halep Shvedova Bencic
Setsuna. is offline View My Blog!