TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Mirjana's 2013 Down Under swing

View Single Post

Old Dec 16th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #23
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future
Re: Mirjana's 2013 Down Under swing

Yes, movement is her biggest physical conundrum. I mean, she's in super shape, athletically, and she deserves a lot of props for putting in the hard work. But her footwork is a mystery. Athletes can be in great shape and still need to develop particular skills.

Mirjana's main problem, technically (not mentally), in my opinion, is that she really lacks that explosive first movement. That's why her return-game is such a disaster, at times, and why her service games (with such a big serve as a weapon, like she's got) are fraught with drama.

She hits a big serve and then does not have that explosive "first reaction" movement to get herself into position to take charge of the point. Sometimes she's better at this than others, obviously, and it depends upon the quality of the opponent. On return games, same thing, but it's more a case of how her lack of explosive movement leaves her out of position for accurate returns.

There are ways to work on this and a wise coach (like Prpic) could pinpoint this and help her make some great things happen. It could be the thing that gets her over the proverbial hump.

She certainly deserves whatever success comes her way, with such hard work. I mean, who really thought in 2008 and even 2009 that we would see Mirjana beating one of the Top 10 players in the world again. At a Grand Slam, no less.

That's no small accomplishment, nor was it a fluke. She had to win 4 matches to get that 5th win. That was basically winning a nice tournament. They really need to start awarding Quality Points again. It would make the girls' game more interesting (and accurate) and I, for one, would enjoy the new twists and turns it would put back into the rankings equation.
mikireturns is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote