Originally Posted by Territory
Reasons why it's a great result:
- it demonstrates that an outsider can still get an AO MDWC by playing well and being committed, not just by being young and favoured by TA
- it gives battling players more hope that they can make something of their careers, which is a problem when we've seen players like Golds, Ferguson, Moore and Wejnert give up
- whoever wins out of Mon or Boj will get a great paycheque that will help them greatly with their tour expenses
- they're nice people and display good sportsmanship
- and because making a GS main draw is a great achievement in itself. It's a career goal for many players. Winning a GS match is a separate goal all together.
Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
Usually journeymen/women are not as committed as people make the out to be. Sure they've been around for a long time, but it doesn't mean they worked their ass off, else they would have been much closer to top 100 over a consistent period.
All the points you mentioned are for personal reasons, for tennis in Australia it has no benefits.