TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1992

Thread: 1992
View Single Post

Old Dec 14th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #241
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

MONICA'S GRUNTING 'N' GROANING
Syracuse Herald American
Sunday, July 5, 1992

The animal noises emitted by Monica Seles was the talk of Wimbledon. And every time it's brought up to Seles, she says the same thing, endlessly.

Columnist Edwin Pope had his tape recorder running at Wimbledon. Here's what it captured:

Question: "Monica, the umpire appeared to ask you a couple of times to quiet down. Did it fire you up? Do you think it was fair?"

Seles: "It did not, because, you know, she asked me, I think, twice, about it, but she said, `Miss Seles.' Martina did not complain, I don't think, from her the umpire, but she just said, `Miss Seles, would you keep it down?' Then I tried, and I think at one point I was. She said, `OK, keep doing that,' and then I guess probably when it came really close in a tiebreaker or whatever, I probably was grunting again, which I don't realize I'm doing. I would really love to get rid of it so I won't have to do through this, because I don't think it's pleasant for me, you know, in a match to always concentrate on the grunting issue of thinking, you know, `Will the umpire say something now?' or whatever."

If that's the way she talks, we say keep grunting. How about you? Weigh in on this important issue. Is all this a fuss about nothing? Should the grunt go? Should it stay?

Responses should be 200 words or less, typewritten or clearly legible.

Responses must be received by 5 p.m. Thursday. They will appear in the Herald-Journal Monday, July 13.

Here's how to reach us:

Sports Soapbox/Syracuse Herald-Journal, P.O. Box 4915, Syracuse NY 13221.

Our fax number: (315) 470-3019
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote