TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Petra Kvitova News and Articles

View Single Post

Old Dec 11th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #1807
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
Funny idea. I think Chicago has always been the city with the strongest Czech community in the US (Barack Obama even referred to this during his Prague speech on nuclear disarmament). In early 1930s there was even a Czech-born Chicago mayor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Cermak). Poor guy was assassinated while shaking hands with President-elect Franklin D. Roosevelt at Bayfront Park in Miami, Florida, on February 15, 1933...
Funny that you mentioned that;our middle-school history teacher told us that it was the governor of Illinois(where Chicago is located) but I never actually bothered to look it up.According to our teacher,the Czech fellow had the misfortune of looking very much like President FDR,and the assassin was some nutcase who had intended to kill the president and simply couldn't tell them apart...talk about bad luck,huh?

As you might guess,I was joking about Petra serving as honorary cheerleader,but the Chicago Bears were the original dynasty in the early years of the NFL.It's still a town with lots of rabid,savvy fans,but championships have been scarce in the modern era.IIRC,they won a title in 1963 in the pre-Super Bowm era and then won SB20 in Jan. of 1986...and that's been it in the last 50 years.Obviously,if Petra DOES become a fan,we won't look for her to duplicate that infrequency of championships

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote