TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1992

Thread: 1992
View Single Post

Old Dec 10th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #148
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

ACES GIVE IVANISEVIC WINNING HAND
Philadelphia Daily News
Thursday, June 25, 1992
Bill Conlin

Who says there is nothing new under the sun at this tradition-steeped lawn party?

It was the second set of a second-round match between lefthanders Goran Ivanisevic and Mark Woodforde yesterday and the Croatian was tearing through the Australian like a chili pepper through a bleeding ulcer.

After Ivanisevic's 15th ace, Woodforde set up to receive serve holding the head of the racket. Ivanisevic did the same, fired a mock bullet and missed the ball. "I never played baseball," he shrugged as the Centre Court mob laughed.

Next, Woodforde switched the racket to his right hand. Not to be outclowned, Ivanisevic switched hands, served righthanded and got the first ball in. The longest point ever played at Wimbledon by lefthanders playing righthanded ended on the fourth hit when Woodforde netted a forehand.

"I just couldn't return his serve, so I had to try something," Woodforde said after Ivanisevic passed through to the third round with a 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3 victory.

Ivanisevic finished with 34 aces, impressive but well short of the Wimbledon record of 42, set in 1976 by Britain's John Feaver in a loss to Aussie legend John Newcombe.

"Newc kept turning around to the press box and asking, 'How many is that?' " recalled NBC tennis guru Bud Collins.

FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWDS

London Daily Mail columnist Ian Woolridge and Melbourne Herald-Sun colleague Bruce Wilson were barred from the British Press Room Tuesday because both men write their dispatches on old-fashioned typewriters. It seems that the clackety-clack of metal keys on rubber rollers was too much for the Knights of the Computer Keyboard. Loud typing has joined smoking as forbidden activity.

Undaunted, Woolridge and Wilson set up a table in Car Park 6, ordered a bottle of champagne and clattered merrily into the humid Borough of Merton twilight. "Thus these words come to you from Car Park Six, across the road from Wimbledon, where exhaust fumes are the very breath of freedom," Wooldridge wrote on his battered Olivetti. "My cohort there yesterday was Bruce Wilson . . . whose considerable experience of war-reporting - Vietnam, Cambodia, Nicaragua and the Iraq conflict, to name but a few - inspired him to say yesterday: 'It's not so much the noise of typewriters that puts me off as the moaning of the wounded.' "

HONNNNNN-WHEEEEEEEE!

Your faithful correspondent was among thousands who called a special number yesterday and joined the Great London Sun Tennis Gruntathon. Callers were invited to surpass the 96.23 decibel reading the tabloid says Monica Seles registered on Court 1 Monday. First prize: a new tennis racket and 10 balls . . . The feisty tab outdid itself with a color front page of beleaguered Princess Di, bending verrrrrrry low to accept a bouquet from a tyke at a tribute to the late Sammy Davis Jr. The headline said, "All Di's Front." Not all, but most. The cutline began "BRA-VO!"

TODAY'S RESULTS

A couple of women's seeds moved into the third round. Zina Garrison, seeded 13th, defeated fellow American Linda Harvey-Wild 6-2, 6-4 and 16th seed Judith Wiesner was a 6-0, 6-1 winner over Kataryna Nowak.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote