TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1992

Thread: 1992
View Single Post

Old Dec 6th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #80
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

CAPRIATI SENT PACKING AFTER 2ND-ROUND UPSET
The Charlotte Observer,
Thursday, April 2, 1992
Observer News Services

On a day when the top three seeds easily advanced, fourth-seed Jennifer Capriati was bounced Wednesday from the Family Circle Magazine Cup.

Capriati was eliminated by unseeded Veronika Martinek 6-4, 1-6, 6-4. The victory was the biggest career win and an early birthday present for the German, who turns 20 Friday.

Martinek is ranked No. 83 in the world. Capriati, who celebrated her 16th birthday earlier this week, is No. 6.

Top-seed Gabriela Sabatini, second-seed Martina Navratilova and No. 3 Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario all advanced, winning in straight sets in second-round matches.

Sabatini defeated Halle Cioffi 6-0, 6-0, Navratilova ousted Donna Faber 6-0, 6-2, and Sanchez Vicario defeated Sabine Hack 6-4, 6-2.

"She just got everything back. She played top spin. She came in to hit it," Capriati said. "I don`t think I was really off. I was just impatient a lot of times."

After dropping the first set, Capriati stormed back to force a third. But Martinek broke Capriati in the first game and built a 5-2 lead on the green clay at the Sea Pines Racquet Club.

"By 5-2, I thought, now I can win," Martinek said. However Capriati won the next two games.

At that point Martinek admitted, "I thought I was going to lose." But she said she told herself "when you are leading 5-2 in the third set, you must win."

The crowd at stadium court was pulling for Capriati and an audible sigh went up when she lost the first point of the final game. Martinek broke Capriati that game, winning the match when Capriati netted a forehand.

Martinek immediately hugged her brother and coach Jaroslava, who lifted her into the air.

"She was not playing her best match," Martinek said. "It was good for me that she didn`t play so well."

Two other seeded players lost. Caroline Kuhlman, a qualifier, ousted No. 8 Zina Garrison 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 and Patricia Hy defeated 11th-seed Magdalena Maleeva 3-6, 6-3, 6-2.

Wednesday`s second-round singles: Gabriela Sabatini (1), Argentina, d. Halle Cioffi, 6-0, 6-0; Martina Navratilova (2) d. Donna Faber, 6-0, 6-2; Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (3), Spain, d. Sabine Hack, Germany, 6-4, 6-2; Veronika Martinek, Germany, d. Jennifer Capriati (4), 6-4, 1-6, 6-4; Jana Novotna (6), Czechoslovakia, d. Patricia Tarabini, Argentina, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4; Leila Meskhi (7), Georgia, d. Audra Keller, 6-1, 6-2; Caroline Kuhlman d. Zina Garrison (8), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3; Natalia Zvereva (10), Belarus, d. Shaun Stafford, 6-1, 6-1; Patricia Hy, Canada, d. Magdalena Maleeva (11), Bulgaria, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2; Brenda Schultz (12), Netherlands, d. Stacey Martin, 6-4, 6-2; Sandra Cecchini (13), Italy, d. Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, Germany, 6-4, 6-1; Amanda Coetzer
(14), South Africa, d. Tami Whitlinger, 6-3, 6-4; Debbie Graham (16) d. Ann Grossman, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3; Ines Gorrochategui, Argentina, d. Andrea Temesvari, Hungary, 2-6, 6-3, 7-5; Petra Ritter, Austria, d. Silke Frankl, Germany, 6-3, 6-3.

First-round doubles: Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, Germany-Conchita Martinez, Spain (5) d. Elena Brioukhovets-Eugenia Manikova, Russia, 6-1, 6-2; Mary Lou Daniels-Rosalyn Fairbank-Nideffer (7) d. Florencia Labat-Ines Gorrochategui, Argentina, 6-2, 6-7 (6-8), 6-3; Halle Cioffi-Audra Keller, d. Bettina Fulco- Villela, Argentina-Laura Garrone, Italy, 3-6, 6-3, 6-0.

Second-round doubles: Jana Novotna, Czechoslovakia-Larisa Savachenko-Neiland, Latvia, (1) d. Elise Burgin-Katarina Maleeva, Bulgaria, 6-1, 6-0; Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, Spain-Natalia Zvereva, Belarus (2) d. Beverly Bowes-Wendy Prausa, 6-2, 6-1; Patty Fendick-Gigi Fernandez (3) d. Renata Baranski-Laura Glitz, 6-2, 6-4; Sandra Cecchini, Italy-Patricia Tarabini, Argentina, d. Amanda Coetzer, South Africa-Andrea Temesvari, Hungary, 6-4, 6-2.

Today`s featured matches (11 a.m.) - Stadium Court: Leila Meskhi vs. Debbie Graham; Patricia Hy vs. Jana Novotna; Natalia Zvereva vs. Martina Navratilova; Gabriela Sabatini vs. Amanda Coetzer. Court One: Petra Ritter vs. Caroline Kuhlman; Conchita Martinez vs. Sandra Cecchini; Ines Gorrochategui vs. Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario.

(Noon) - Court 15: Veronika Martinek vs. Brenda Schultz.*
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote