TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

View Single Post

Old Nov 19th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #45
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
I would be interested to know how the scholarship really works. All I know is that they get 8 headcount scholarships. If Kostas is a walk-on, then technically they can add all 3. This year they would be using 7 and next year 8.

I don't know how it works with Mal gone. I assume it frees up one, but what happens if she goes back to school, like when Granville went back? I heard they still get a free ride, but where does that scholarship come from?

Now did Kostas get an academic scholarship? She did win that Rotarian award, but I doubt that might just cover the cost of her books.
My source and my own reading tells me that its not true that if the players come back, that they get a free ride. I believe that as discussed on a Duke thread it would violate NCAA rules.

I do believe it works like this, Stanford, Duke degrees are from well respected prominent schools are worth a lot of money, even if the person pays some tuition. Its worth it for a player to start at one of these schools, even if they go professional during their term, because the school will take them back as a student. Plus both schools have large financial endowments, so that normal financial need based scholarships can be quite comprehensive for athletes and non-athletes. And finally, if the player comes back to school after 25 years old, (with some alternative twists), then its just their own income and assets that count for financial aid. But, correct me if I'm wrong...
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote