TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Why has Tennis been a European race dominated Sport?

View Single Post

Old Nov 18th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #142
country flag kiwifan

kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why has Tennis been a White dominated Sport?

money (how many pick up soccer games can you have for the price of two decent tennis rackets and a new can of balls - I'm thinking about 8; that's 200+ kids playing soccer for the same price as two playing tennis)
traditional class snobbery (which began fading only with McEnroe/Connors era)
reverse working class snobbery (tennis is for girly men, prissy preppie boys, not real men; again which began fading with Connors)
actual racism (even in my lifetime, I've been told tennis is a "white sport")
rise of team sports (baseball, basketball, football & soccer all were more welcoming of minorities before tennis)
fade of tennis in popularity (when I was a kid, late 70s it seemed like everyone owned a tennis racket & everyone knew who the top American players were if not the top players in the world; definitely not the case now)

I was there when the ALL BLACKS won the World Cup in 2011!!!

"I don't know that I changed all that much. They just found somebody worse." - Aging tennis bad boy Jimmy Connors, referring to John McEnroe, in 1984.

There can never be too many "Sister Slams!"
kiwifan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote