TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Why has Tennis been a European race dominated Sport?

View Single Post

Old Nov 18th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #139
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why has Tennis been a White dominated Sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
You have a point about the media fueling the public's love for hot-looking players (although you can also argue that they're just giving people what they want), and there may even be an element of latent racism in that.

I don't like that any more than you do, but at the end of the day Chrissie-fan is right. There is no serious dispute as to who is the greatest player of this generation, and to suggest that Serena and Venus only get a "lil bit of respect" is frankly silly.

No offense, but Serena (and Venus) fans have just the hugest chip on their shoulder of any group of tennis fans. You're pretty fair-minded in general compared to some of the more fanatical of your peers, but even you can be pretty intolerant of people not showing your faves as much respect as you think they deserve. Not every compliment handed to another player carries an implicit slight towards Serena and Venus. Really.
Not there may be...there IS an element of racism in that. But it is what it is.

After 15 majors, surely it couldn't be a serious discussion..because that would make the hating way too obvious, no?! So the respect was earned the HARD way. Let me just say that Serena with four majors wasn't this gushed over as Masha's being right now.

The YEC final deemed as power vs grace...that isn't taking shots/ shading Serena?! Really?!
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote