TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Lesley Turner

Thread: Lesley Turner
View Single Post

Old Nov 18th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #73
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lesley Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Lesley looks just as classy as I imagined Craig-what a treat for you and us vicariously!

And LOL at Judy, who always did have a funny story to tell. Recently I was reading one from 1963 letter writen to World Tennis. Judy was playing Maria Bueno in the semis of the Pacific Coast event. Several bad calls went against both players. Judy replayed some in her favor but found Maria did not return the favor!

Buenio was also footfaulting outrageously. When Tegart asked about it the lineswoman admitted Maria was footfaulted. Asked why she didn't call it her answer was, "Oh, I couldn't do that. It might upset her concentration."

Tegart added, "NOW I think that was pretty funny, but I didn't feel that way at the time!"

P.S. Bueno was called for footfaults in the final vs Hard-and both women threw points so badly they were booed by the crowd.
Yes Rollo, Lesley was very classy. She is a reserved woman and very humble. The interesting thing about Margaret Court's video message was that she said that had Lesley played for any other nation in the 60s she would have been a national heroine - and that is pretty true. As it was, she hardly got any recognition because she lived in the shadow of Margaret. So it really was a special day for her to receive this long overdue tribute.

Judy was watching the matches from the side of the court and giving us a funny running commentary. She really is the character we have all read about. Such a larrikin in the old Aussie tradition. She just says it like it is, so I can totally understand her giving Maria some of those points - funny it was never returned!

Another thing I loved about this day (and the same as when we attended the Chris O'Neil and Mark Edmonson tribute) was how the older players all rallied and supported each other. Just beautiful. There was so much love in the room and that is the thing that you remember and enjoy about these days so much.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote