TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1992

Thread: 1992
View Single Post

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #38
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

A real choice quote from Jenny near the end of the article...

Capriati's repeat in Mazda serves notice to Open field
The San Diego Union-Tribune
Monday, August 31, 1992
Author: ED GRANEY

Little Miss Giggles has become Little Miss Confident. And that, say those who follow women's professional tennis, may spell Grand Slam for America's best hope of winning one of the four biggies any time soon.

Much has changed in a year for Jennifer Capriati. Much hasn't. Notice the cool sunglasses. The decisive answers. The flip of the hair. The roll of the eyes. Giddy and shy no more, to be sure.

But whatever changes in style Capriati has developed off the court, those on it remain her style on it remains consistent. Solid. Tough. She stands on the baseline, sizes up her next ground stroke and crushes the P right off Penn.

And, at least while visiting this city, she wins.

Capriati yesterday successfully defended her Mazda Tennis Classic title, hardly being challenged in a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Spain's Conchita Martinez before 5,200 at La Costa Resort & Spa.

So, for the second time in a little more than 12 months, Capriati stepped forward at La Costa, smiled, thanked all for coming and gladly accepted a check for $45,000 and the keys to a Mazda Miata.

Green one last year, yellow this year. An hour after meeting with the media, the 16-year-old Capriati, her mother, Denise, and a few of their friends stood around discussing what they could do about all of Jennifer's spare cars.

Tough choices, some kids have.

"I'm playing very well right now," Capriati said. "I came here to get some good matches, good practice and get ready for the U.S. Open. It all worked out really well."

She plays her first match in New York tomorrow, one of five players given a chance to walk away champ as champion nearly two weeks and plenty of intense forehand volleys from now.

The Big Apple should prepare itself for a new Capriati, one who walks on onto a court expecting to win. Always. Matters not if the likes of Graf or Seles or Sabatini walks with her.

You could see that in the past week, especially yesterday. Martinez at 100 percent has a tough enough time with Capriati's power. Martinez with tendinitis throughout her right arm and shoulder hadn't a chance.

The ailment started at the Australian Open in January and hasn't subsided, save for a few days at the Olympics last month. It hurts Martinez to serve, to dip and spin her topspin forehand. Not enough to quit, to retire from a final. Just nag, nag, nag all the way through.

"Sure, it's frustrating," said Martinez, who asked for the trainer in the first set and received treatment during each changeover. "I might be playing my best tennis right now, but it always hurts. Very disappointing."

As was the case the previous six days, the linesmen made several controversial calls, eliciting more whistles than Christie Brinkley on a hot day. The sad truth: Capriati said the chair umpire told her he would change officials on the baseline at game's end.

Sure, changes often are made. But for an umpire to actually tell a player of it beforehand . . .

Feeling was, Martinez needed to change pace often, while offering Capriati high ball after high ball. One way to beat power is by not feeding the source. Hint: Capriati was fed well. And pigged out.

Boom. Winner. Boom. Winner. Boom. Winner. You get the idea.

"I would have liked to give her more high balls, but it was difficult with the wind," said Martinez, who received $22,500 for finishing second. "But she played very well. Winning the (Olympic gold medal) gave her much confidence. That's what it takes. Big wins like that."

Capriati, ever the media's main attraction here, can expect much more scrutiny in New York. Fans are awaiting the Olympic champion's arrival, hoping her good fortunes of late will make for a Yank winning this country's premier tennis event.

Pressure, however, will not play with Capriati's mind. She refuses to let it.

"I don't need to put any pressure on myself, because other people already do that for me," she said. "I want to serve well because that's a big part of my game. Hopefully, I'll be able to peak."

At that, she bid San Diego farewell until next year. Twelve more months to a Miata three-peat?
Ms. Anthropic is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote