TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 1992

Thread: 1992
View Single Post

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #32
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1992

Mazda Classic, San Diego 1992:

Capriati gets key to the city
The San Diego Union-Tribune
Tuesday, August 25, 1992
Author: ED GRANEY

A blue Led Zepplin tie-dyed shirt. Cutoff denim shorts. White Converse high-tops. Way cool. Rock on. Sweet 16 and looking the part.

Jennifer Capriati stuck around Lindbergh Field yesterday long enough to receive the key to the city and a whole lot of what she really doesn't like. Attention.

America's gold-medal winner opens her defense of the Mazda Tennis Classic tomorrow night at 7 at La Costa Resort & Spa against the winner of today's Judith Wiesner-Julie Halard match.

Not a problem, Capriati says, is motivating herself for this event. This, despite still beaming from her Olympic victory and it just being a week from playing her role as America's great hope at the U.S. Open.

"I never came down from the (Olympics)," Capriati said. "Being that hyped up, I still think the momentum is going for me."

After receiving the gold key from City Manager Jack McGrory, Capriati volleyed back some answers:

On professionals playing in the Olympics: "We should send our best and win the gold. That's what it's about."

On the expectations that now -- after beating Steffi Graf in Barcelona -- she should consistently vie for Grand Slam titles: "That's what I expect of myself."

How'd she win?

Oceanside's Stephanie Rehe, who won this event in 1988, committed 29 double faults in her three-hour, 31-minute match against Argentina's Mercedes Paz. Good thing this sport isn't all serving.

Rehe won: 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-5), 6-4.

"Except for my serving, I thought things went pretty well," said Rehe, who still fights the effects of a bad back, the result of an car accident in 1989.

Want irony? Rehe saved a match point in the second set. Ace.

Et cetera

The evening's top match between seventh-seeded Zina Garrison and Escondido's Ros Fairbank-Nideffer was scheduled to begin at 7. Not possible -- the Sea World beach band was playing then. Next on was a pleasant yet drawn-out presentation of the colors. Then the players were introduced and began warming up. At 7:15, half the court lights went out. At 7:20, the other half went out. At 7:35, they came on. At 7:38, play began. Wow.

Yesterday's attendance: morning session 2,566; evening session 2,654.

Coronado's Angelica Gavaldon lost to sixth-seeded Nathalie Tauziat of Central Africa 6-1, 6-3 in last night's second match.

Del Mar's Robin White was excused, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3 by Ann Grossman, who can thank an effective first serve (64 percent) for advancing . . . Former UCLA standout Kimberly Po secured a date with top-seeded Gabriela Sabatini by beating San Diego's Gretchen Magers, 6-3, 6-4. Po-Sabatini play tonight at 7. The former should make the most of it -- she plans on returning to school after the U.S. Open . . . USD's Julie McKeon and Laura Richards continue their Summer of Experience when they meet fourth-seeded Garrison-White in a doubles match this morning at 11.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote