TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Peak Serena vs peak Seles

View Single Post

Old Nov 16th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #24
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Peak Serena vs peak Seles

Quote:
Originally Posted by forehand27 View Post
Valid and interesting point but keep in mind this is a thread about peak SERENA vs peak Seles, not peak Graf vs peak Seles. I think most would concede regardless which is the hard court GOAT factoring in overall career (obviously one of Graf or Serena) that peak Serena >>>>> peak Graf on hard courts in sheer playing level, especialy on Australian Open hard courts which is the match you reference and the only kind of hard court Seles ever managed to beat Graf on anyway, and that Serena is a much tougher matchup for Seles than Graf was. Seles could only beat Graf on a hard court by attacking her backhand and 2nd serve, but against Serena there would be nothing to attack. The only way to beat Serena on a hard court is to attack her consistency but you need great retrieving skills to have a chance at doing that, which Seles does not.
The reason I cited the Graf match was because along with Seles, those were the only two players at that level at the time, along with it highlighting Seles' improving game - she had closed the gap in areas where Graf had the edge while maintaining the strengths she had. All of this plays into Peak Seles, which is a part of the subject of this thread. The closest look we ever got at what might have been.

I've said it in other threads already but the level of tennis Serena displayed in 2002 was the best I have ever seen from a woman, irrespective of the weak competition arguments others keep dredging up. But as far as mental toughness goes, I'd have to give the nod to Seles.

I don't think it'd be so cut and dry as most responses in this thread suggest. Neither one would be winning easily or destroying the other on clay/grass. Both were fiercely proud champions who despised losing which was highlighted during their peaks.