TennisForum.com - View Single Post - WTA influence on Prize Money?: ATP votes down 800k Prize Money Increase at IW

View Single Post

Old Nov 15th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #29
country flag dany.p

dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of
Re: WTA influence on Prize Money?: ATP votes down 800k Prize Money Increase at IW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobito View Post
Just to play Devil's advocate here for a moment, what exactly is the motive behind Ellison's offer to increase prize money by $800K? Is he doing it because he wants tennis players to have more money or is he trying to set Indian Wells apart from the other Masters tournaments? If, as I suspect, the latter then that raises a further question.

If you have a Masters series where one tournament is giving out more nearly twice as much in prize money as most of the other events, doesn't that undermine the integrety of the series. After all, these tournaments are supposed to be on a par with each other. They have equal ranking points and are supposed to carry the same prestige. If Indian Wells were to increase prize money by $800K, the Masters events would look like this:

Indian Wells - $5.495 million
Miami - $3.973M
Madrid - $3.940M
Shanghai - 3.531M
Rome - $3.096M
Paris - $3.096M
Monte Carlo - $3.096M
Cincinnatti - $2.825M
Rogers Cup - $2.649M

If Ellison is trying to raise Indian Wells' status above that of other Masters Series events, are the ATP really being unreasonable in stopping that from happening.
There are already discrepencies between prize money, even with tournaments with the same draw size. For me, this just strengthens the arguement for a prize money increase.