TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Your Top 5 Youngsters to Watch in 2013

View Single Post

Old Nov 14th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #72
country flag jj74

jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Your Top 5 Youngsters to Watch in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asadinator View Post
I know that, so like I said those predictions were based on age alone. Otherwise there is no way you can predict those 2 players will perform better next year, I mean they are better now. So random.

You are half right with Barty, she was not ready this year to win at WTA level. But at ITF level this year she has won pretty much everything she has played, played only seniors and has had the taste of every GS. There is nothing left to prove or learn. If she isn't ready now then she never will be ready.

Kontaveit was well known when she was young (hello chingching ), but she has stalled in 2012.

Yes Vekic has had poor results in juniors and come out of nowhere in late-2011/2012. But she isn't a player like Bouchard who is much older and started being good at only 18, Vekic is still 16 so this is not the same case as you are saying. These girls like Alison van Uytvanck and Anna Karolina Schmiedlova aren't suddenly gonna become world beaters

Michelle is a worst case scenario, it doesn't mean Vekic will take the same route as her.
I wasn't talking about that. Kontaveitt is doing well for a couple of years, but no so much time ago she was very far from Putintseva, Uberalova, Rohanova, Vickery or Khromacheva. And the same for Vekic, she was always good, but she wasn't at the level of De Vroome, Tsuji, Dean or Korasvilli.
Improvement is what's matter, and it's very easy to see with spanish girls, Torro or Muguruza weren't (by far) one of the top players of their age, and now they are ahead of player who dominated not so much time ago.

And of course Michelle is a worst case sceneario, but we have Vaidisova too. And on the other side of spectrum we have Kvitova who never was a top junior (she played very few tournaments), or even in u14 or u16 and now she is doing better than people her age who seemed more promising when they were younger.

Vekic results are quite weird, she has great results on itfs and very poor results on juniors (very poor for someone who is near top 100). Of course at her age irregularity is pretty normal (well some top players don't know what regularity means either).

When you bet on people to do well next season, the probabilities are in favour of someone who is 18, specially because lately the people rising in wta rankings are not (generally) teenagers.

But of course, people like Vekic or Barty can continue improving and breaking big next year. In fact, it would be fantastic for wta to have a couple of new teenage queens
jj74 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote