TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Your Top 5 Youngsters to Watch in 2013

View Single Post

Old Nov 14th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #66
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of
Re: Your Top 5 Youngsters to Watch in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shvedbarilescu View Post
Okay, firstly Robson and Beck I don't include. As far as I'm concerned both are now comfortably in the top 100 and have convinced me that at the very least they will be fixtures on the WTA tour for quite a few years to come. Quite simply, these two have already graduated.

Vekic and Barty obviously both merit special attention as they are by far the youngest players in the top 200. Personally I think both most likely have very good futures. But I don't think either of them is ready for a big breakthrough yet. Vekic is very close to the top 100 and she will probably get there next year, but I think she will likely find herself a little bit out of her depths at this stage. Likewise, I don't see Barty as being able to compete at WTA level next year. But give these girls another year and both should be ready to make some noise in 2014.

Of those that are 18 and under and in the top 250, there are several I really need to see more of before having any sort of opinion of them. But there are a few I do have significant reservations about. Irina Khromacheva seems to lose almost all her matches by very uncompetitive scorelines. That is not what you want to see in a young player and it suggests to me a lack of heart and motivation. Yulia Putintseva is a small girl and she does seem to have attitude problems. Having seen her play I don't think she is terrible but there wasn't much about her game that impressed me either. I am certainly not convinced she is a future star. Saisai Zheng, I watched a little at Roehampton last year and while she is solid she has a long way to go before being competitive against top 100 opposition. She has obviously benefited from playing a lot of relatively easy ITF events. There is still time for further improvement and she may yet turn out to be a solid top 100 player in the future but next year? I don't think so.

So who are the players I do think can make some noise next year?
The five I'm going with are Elina Svitolina, Eugenie Bouchard, Madison Keys, Alison van Uytvanck and Anna Karolina Schmiedlova. These are the five players 18 and younger, ranked in the top 250 but outside the top 100, who I have the most confidence in and I think all these players will make a significant impression on the tour next year.

A few other slightly older players I'd keep an eye on are Monica Puig, Maryna Zanevska and Paula Ormaechea.
Alison van Uytvanck and Anna Karolina Schmiedlova

Are you just saying that because they are 18? And you don't trust Vekic and Barty because they are 16? Even though they are much better players, if they met they would thrash those 2 for sure...
binky-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote