Originally Posted by In The Zone
Right so how can Kerber's "improvement" whereas, in actuality, it's not an improvement since she made USO SF .... compare to Errani's breakout season? Kerber already broke out in 2011.
Errani is the improved award winner.
I'm totally unbiased of course.
But Sara's breakthrough and rise in the rankings has been so much more surprising than Kerbers. And her improvement has been much larger. She won 40 places in singles AND 25 places in doubles.
1) WTA's Player of the Year: Serena Williams (should be a lock)
2) Comeback Player of the Year: Yaroslava Shvedova (but I think Venus will get it)
3) Most Improved Player of the Year: Sara Errani (see above)
4) Newcomer of the Year: Heather Watson (higher ranked than Robson, and unlike Stephens she won a title. Bertens doesn't stand a chance here, unfortunately)
5) Team of the Year (doubles): Errani/Vinci (2 Slam1, 1 final)