TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

View Single Post

Old Nov 11th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #56
country flag TennisPhan

TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
I was being nostalgic and watching some of Serena's 2002 and 2003 matches, especially the ones against Henin, Capriati, and Mauresmo.

Serena's serve has improved TREMENDOUSLY. AND! Her groundstrokes today have more juice and accuracy. 2012 Serena definitely get a set off 2002 Serena, no doubt. I think 2002's movement would expose 2012's Serena LACK of movement in the end though.
I did the same and noticed Serena 2002 played a lot more to the middle. In the last couple of years she places the balls in the corners more often with less UE's (AO Final vs Henin is a good example of where the difference started to show). Serena 2012 movement is really good, not as good as 2002, but it's not that far off.

The slam results show 2002 was her best year, but she's playing her best ever in 2012 (not the whole year, but PEAK-wise). here's why:

- Improved shot placement (2012)
- improved serve (2012)
- improved variety (2012)
- slightly better movement (2002)

Experienced Serena takes it! but the difference is small..
TennisPhan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote