TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

View Single Post

Old Nov 10th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #35
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

I'll be the first to say that the field in 2002 wasn't as strong as it was from 1998-2001. Hingis skipped RG & Wimbledon because of injuries, Lindsay skipped AO, RG & W with injuries - these were the big two in the preceding years. Hantuchova and Dokic were winning Tier I events and cracking the Top 5, Mauresmo became a regular in GS SF events, Clijsters and Henin having sophomore slumps after their 2001 breakthroughs, etc. However, none of that matters. For those of us who saw Serena play tennis in 2002 she would've still beat up on all those players. The highest level of tennis I ever saw from a woman. 2002 was Serena's best season and from a perspective of level of tennis produced, one could argue the best season in history.