TennisForum.com - View Single Post - What are your favourite museums/art galleries?

View Single Post

Old Nov 9th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #20
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are your favourite museums/art galleries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
I also went almost four years ago when I went to Dublin for New Year. And I saw the museum back when it was larger and the entrance was on Merrion - is that right? It was beautiful then. And totally agree about The Taking of Christ. It's fabulous, and really the overall quality of paintings there is fantastic.

I didn't get to see the Leech, but I looked it up, and I now regret paying less attention to the Irish paintings when I did my walk through.

During my stay most recent visit, I stayed at Merrion Hotel, which has a pretty incredible collection of art, too!

The Kunst Museum in Vienna is absolutely incredible. I think that the massive Klimt they have up won't be accessible after a few more weeks (here's a photo I took of a part of it: http://instagram.com/p/QZ-Ty-zOk2/), but the paintings they've got there are just ridiculous. Carravagio, Titian, Bruegel, Rubens (another of my favorites)...And next year that wing with the Hapsburg trinkets is going to mind-bogglingly amazing.
Yeah, the quality's quite good at the museum considering Ireland's history. It's good that it's free too. I hope that means that people who might not usually visit an art gallery or museum would take a look and take an interest in a couple of the pieces. The Irish art is pretty good (esp. Jack B. Yeats, brother of William) but you didn't miss out on anything truly incredible except for this painting by Leech and a couple of other works. My one main problem with the museum is that zero photography is allowed. I think it's nice to render a piece of art through photography as you have done well with your picture of the Klimt.

I'll have to check out the Merrion Hotel some time!

Next time I go to Vienna, I think much of my time and money will be devoted to seeing the museums. Do you know if there's a museum pass or a Vienna card? Vienna's one of my absolute favourite cities in the world. I think it's just gorgeous!!

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote