TennisForum.com - View Single Post - What are your favourite museums/art galleries?

View Single Post

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #17
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are your favourite museums/art galleries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
The Pergamon is absolutely stunning, and after 7 visits to Berlin, it's still the only museum I've been to there. I went to the C/O gallery when they had the Helmut Newton exhibit. It was nice.

My favorite is still the MET here in NYC. I love that I can go for $1 and just spend my day walking around.

Kelvingrove in Glasgow is pretty stellar. The national gallery in Dublin, while super tiny, is a great place to check out if you want to take 45 minutes off the day and just see some great art. I was there like three weeks ago. It's nice.

LOVE the Leopold in Vienna. Egon Schiele is one of my most favorite, favorite artists of all time so I always make a point to go there. (I've only been twice; the first time, I almost cried.)

Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna is also magnificent. And it's about to get drop-dead gorgeous in the spring when they open up a new wing dedicated to Hapsburg treasures!!

The Vatican Museum is great; the Van Gogh museum is awesome; I love all three of the big museums in Madrid (though I don't like the city): Thyssens, Prado, Reina Sofia. I also really like Serralves in Porto. The National Gallery in both Oslo and Zurich are great, too. I love going there for the works of Munch and Chagall, respectively.
Was that the only time you had been to the National Gallery in Dublin? About 70-80% of the museum has been closed off for much of the year for renovations. No great loss as the most treasured work's are still on display. I love Carravagio's "The Taking of Christ" even though I don't usually like very dark paintings. It's a bit of a shame though because part of the museum is what looks like a former ballroom and it's definitely the nicest space in the museum.

Also, did you see William John Leech's "A Convent Garden, Brittany" in the side gallery of Irish art which is also still open. You can see it here:

http://www.nationalgallery.ie/en/Col..._Painting.aspx

Still kicking myself for not visiting the Kunstorisches Museum but I went to the State Hall instead which was beautiful. Still, I'll have to go one day.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote