Originally Posted by Six Feet Under
This was a Bipolar year.
- GS QF US Open (Peak Marion up until the rain delay against Sharapova, defeat over Kvitova)
- PM SF Miami (Win over world #1 Vika win streak)
- PM QF Indian Wells
- P F Paris (Great comeback against Vinci in the QF)
- P F Carlsbad (Played horrendously but still managed to get revenge on Mchale in an epic)
- P5 S Doha
- PM S Beijing
- CHR at #7
- 3rd loss to Zheng at AO
- 2nd round loss to Martic at FO
- 2nd round loss to Lucic at Wim
- 4 match losing streak during the clay season (Stuttgart to Barthel, Madrid to Cirstea, Rome to Georges, Brussels to U. Radwanska)
- Loss in the SF of Eastbourne to Pazsek leading 4-6 0-4
- Early losses during the US Hardcourt season (Montreal, Stanford, Cincinatti and New Haven
- Was the leader of 2012 DF by over 100
after being last years ace leader
- Win loss of 41-25
- Less than 50 wins away from 500
- 2 (big) top 10 wins (#1 Azarenka, #5 Kvitova)
- 6 losses to players outside the top 50
My aims for 2013:
- Reach top 8 again
- A title!
- A GS semi
Have a good offseason Marion!
Great post. I would also add making over $1.2 million as a high point.
Despite all the low points, it was a good season overall, certainly better than 08 and 10. I'm so happy she completed the career QF slam. Would've loved it if she had won that Paris final, but it was a very good match at least. She fought so hard.
I have mixed feelings about losing the top 10 spot right at the end. One on hand, she can play unlimited internationals (as mentioned that could serve her well in the clay season next year) but then she doesn't have the prestige of finishing the season in the top 10. I guess she's done it twice before anyway
Regarding 2013- I would love if she could have another good season and gain direct entry into the YEC next year for a change. She's come so close so many times- Just pipped to the post by Hantuchova in 07, Radwanska last year and was the second alternate this year, but she needs to stop having these horrible slumps.