TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Things you want Maria to achieve/do in 2013.

View Single Post

Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 06:19 PM   #50
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Things you want Maria to achieve/do in 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniaSharapova View Post
I have nothing against Caro enters small tournaments, it's her choice and her path to success.
She was just an example for me to point it out that sometimes numbers of titles doesn't mean about quality.
For me only Slams and Premier tournaments matters and it's my personal opinion which not based of what Serena or Venus told a few years ago.
Well, it's probably not a discussion for this thread, but I agree that the quality of tournaments won by Sharapova is superior to those won by Wozniacki and that winning a Premier tournament (let alone a slam or YEC) is a bigger achievement than winning an international. Having said that, I wouldn't go so far as to say that winning 20 WTA tournaments of any description is insignificant. What TF calls MM events are still tournaments on the main tour. The real MM events are the ITF's. And I think it's a good thing that players that are being called vultures care enough about them to compete in them. I mean, if every top 15/20 player of the past ten or fifteen years had played the redused schedule of a Serena Williams the tour wouldn't survive because I don't think that a tournament with a number one seed outside of the top 20 attracts any crowds. If people are ok with seeing many tournaments disappearing from the calender there's no problem. If people want them to stay there is a need for players to support them. Having said that, for the sake of her own best interests I would like to see Wozniacki play a maximum of, say, 18 tournaments a year. If not, there might be a price to pay later on in her career. I think it's pretty obvious that the injury problems of Clijsters in her later years had something to do with her playing too much early on, so there are lessons to be learned there.

Caroline Wozniacki

Maria Sharapova, Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska, Sorana Cirstea

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote